Sorry it's those biting bugs again!

Your questions on medical and security issues
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Sorry it's those biting bugs again!

Post by Carol Townsend »

I must apologise for dragging this up again,but I need to get it out of my system.

I can honestly say we had no trouble from mossies during our stay-never saw one. We all got bitten by tiny flying things,which were just a minor irritation.
I tried the repellant armbands after being bitten on the arms a couple of times,and they did seem to work.I had no more bites(on the arms) after that.So I would recommend them if you don't mind looking like you've been "tagged" or belong to some some strange cult. I even wore them in bed.
I do wonder what the locals thought when they saw them.They would be too polite to pass comment, of course.
I should have worn them on my legs! By the time I thought about it my ankles and feet were too swollen to get them on.It was those invisible sand flies/fleas! We all got bitten, but it was me ,who had done all the research and packed all the lotions and potions who had the worst reaction. After 2 days my ankles and feet had come up like balloons, and I had blisters on the backs of my feet above the heels. the one on my right foot was ENORMOUS. I'm glad I had flip flops-I could never have got shoes on.
I admit I got scared. Went to a pharmacy in Scarborough.One of the staff and a customer gasped in horror and adviised I go to the hospital.So I wasted a whole beautiful day there with my family and eventually saw a very kind doctor who gave me cream,antibiotics and reassurance that I was not about to get gangrene. I went armed with my passport and insurance policy, but it was all free.
Rather late in the day I started to take Clarityn, and although I did get a few more blisters, they were much smaller and I plucked up courage to burst them.Towards the end of the fortnight my resistance had built up and I was much better.
The monster eventually burst and I had it dressed by tha lovely nurse(called Carol) in the ambulance station in Castara. Again for free. I wish I had known about this cliinic in the first place as I am sure the trip tp hospital was a complete waste of time.(I am not criticising the Health Service or the staff)
Anyway, my revolting legs and feet were a great conversation starter. I suspect I scratched in my sleep as my legs had broken blood vessels and lumps all over them. For a day or two I wore long trousers,partly as protection and partly because my legs looked so horrible, but it was just too hot.
I did elicit lots of sympathy and kind words of advice from the locals, who no doubt are still talking about the woman with the mankey legs,or whatever the local dialect expression is.
If I go to Tobago again, which I dearly hope to do, I will consult with my GP about super strength anti hystamines first.
I found the Tiger Balm quite good at dulling the itch, and the Zanza Click handy to carry around, but it does take a while to work.
I thiink the worst bites came from Englishmans Bay, but that didn't stop us returning!
One local I spoke to said he hoped it wouldn't spoil my memories of Tobago. No way sir!
My next report will be more positive I promise. Ah! the rainforest! Wonderful wonderful wonderful.
I'm going for a lie down. Thanks for your time.
Cheers
Carol
Mel M

Post by Mel M »

We have been back for 3 months and as well as the small scars over my feet I still have one bite that just wont heal!! It doesn't help that I keep scratching it - I am one of those 'if it itches ... scratch it' types! I actually have come to the conclusion that it is all psychosomatic because when it goes my Tobago memories may start to fade. :cry:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

So really Mel,you are being a big noseeum just to keep your memories of Tobago alive?Not sure if that is classed as sadism,masochism or hedonism.....or even Mauncheurs Syndrome!!!!! :wink:
David :D
Mel M

Post by Mel M »

Wow - I just had to google noseeum as i had never seen that word before!!
The myTobago forum really is educational!

I like to think it is hedonism!
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Yes I had to google it too: of course! No - see- um!
As I've said elsewhere, that Mr Watkins is an erudite sort of chap.Must be the rum :wink:
Cheers m,dears
Carol
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Carol,

Having personally met Mr.Watkins the only way you could say he is erudite is if "You" were the one to have consumed copious amounts of rum %*} Actually the more we consumed the wittier and more charming we both became.

If you look at my pictures you'll see him in action seducing my wife :shock:

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/

Return to “Health & Security”