Guest Report

9 apartments in Charlotteville (listing)
Doug Brown

Guest Report

Post by Doug Brown »

We just got back from 5 weeks on Tobago and Cholsons was our favorite place to stay - we stayed at 4 others and looked at another 4-5 and ended up going back to Cholson to stay for the last 10 days we liked it so much - first what a great town Charlotteville is - now if bars and restaurants are your thing you may want to stay in the Crown Point area - not that the Charlottvilliens do not have a good time – we were there during the Heritage Festival and it was a fun party- but there are only a few places to eat and the bars are the Tobago style of a small place to have a beer - the Man of War beach is a state run beach with a lifeguard and a great bar to lime (as in have a beer or two and talk Cricket) – Cholsons is right on the bay – they are a short but steep walk to Pirates Bay which has to be one of the most scenic places on the island and an even shorter walk to the Man of War beach - course you can also go right out from the apartment into the bay to swim or join all the local kids jumping off the pier – I like to snorkel so went straight out from the apt. and swam over to Pirates and saw some very nice reefs along the way. We stayed in the cottage for one week – 2 bedroom first floor apartment – good breeze kept us cool and never had any mosquitoes– there is no AC but we were never uncomfortable – the 2 upstairs apartments have wood floors and were built in the 20’s & 30's but have been very well kept up –very traditional architecture – we got the left side upstairs for the 2nd week – 3 bedroom – all have great kitchens and there are mango, lime and banana trees right out back. The people at Cholsons add so much to the enjoyment of the place – Dawn, Salome and Ms Pat the owner were so nice to us – I recommend Cholsons as a relaxing, comfortable, convenient and wonderful place to stay – if you are looking for sun, sea and nice people you can’t beat this place
feel free to contact me on the forum if you have questions

doug
L. Brooks

Post by L. Brooks »

Hi Doug,
Really enjoyed your report on the snorkelling close to Cholson Chalets. Did you do a lot of your own cooking or were you able to eat at local places? Were there any other areas in Tobago you could recommend for snokelling? Where else did you stay while there? We are going in Feb. and really looking forward to being able to go from the beach as much as possible.
Thanks.
Linda
Doug Brown

beach reefs -long post but I love talking about Tobago

Post by Doug Brown »

Linda - I found several great places to snorkel - we were always on the east end of the island (the highlands) so not sure of places down on the lowlands around Crown Point - as I said in Charllotville I walked to the end of the beach toward Pirates Bay and went straight out from there and headed right toward the rocks - at first mostly it is dead coral -but a great area to see sea turtles- one day saw 5 in 20 minutes - as you swim toward Pirates there is more live coral and reef fish - swim out to the rocks you can see at low tide to see even more fish - I swam around the point all the way into Pirates bay - there is even (I hope he is still there) a very large Kingfish that likes to watch you swim by :)

another great place is the north east end of Englishman's bay - standing facing out walk to the right side of the bay and swim out along the rocks - there is a lot of boring sand bottom till you get out a ways so don't give up - you will come upon a live reef - look for the rocks sticking out of the water - there are some large schools of small fish in that bay since there are no net fisherfolk - watch behind the schools and you may get lucky and see a school of tarpon in the 6 to 7 foot range as I did - this reef has lots of pretty fire coral and is about 20' deep but crystal clear

in Castara stay to the right side- just down from Alibaba's where you see some rocks sticking up the reef goes all the way around the point - good viewing and if you swim out into the bay a bit the fields of soft coral moving in the wave action is amazing to watch - you need to be a bit careful here due to the wave movement around the rocks -

well this is maybe more then you asked for - but the trip was a highlight of my life in big result from the time I spent in the water

let me know if you have any questions
doug
Doug Brown

oh the other questions

Post by Doug Brown »

sorry got caught up in the diving question - as for cooking/eating - well we cooked about all the time - resturants in C'ville are sketchy - some folks love them - but it is not a tourist town so they are pretty basic - the Roti right next to Cholsons is great but only made on fridays - we stayed in Castara and C'ville almost all the time since we are not interested in a party/dinning vacation and those 2 towns are more slow paced then Crown Point - we had a car ( I suggest it since you can visit the whole island in a day or two) so we hit the Penny Saver grocery store once a week - the grocery stores in Charlotteville are basic and in Castara pretty much non-existant - course both places you can get very fresh vegies and amazingly fresh fish as the locals do

hope this helps and that you have a great trip
doug
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Re: What a great place to stay !!

Post by Merlin »

[quote="Doug Brown"]We just got back from 5 weeks on Tobago and Cholsons was our favorite place to stay - we stayed at 4 others and looked at another 4-5 and ended up going back to Cholson to stay for the last 10 days we liked it so much -

Hi there..Doug...wondering if there is room to park a car at this local? We will have a rental car next week..and wanting to spend one night in charlotsville.... thanks,..
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Yes Merlin you can park a car at Cholsons. They have room for 4 or 5 cars. If for some reason there is not room (never have I seen it full) you can park at the band stand and walk 150'.
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Merlin »

Hi Phil...thanks for reply..... so how the world does one make reservation at one of those places in charlotsville????????? :o
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Merlin,contact Yestourism.Their details are on this site......they will also help with car hire,transfers etc.
David :D
Doug Brown

parking

Post by Doug Brown »

they can fit in a few as Phil said - we did park at the bandstand just so did not have to move cars around when blocked- bet Yestourism has their number since they do not have a web site -

enjoy the stay
doug
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Merlin »

Thanks guys... yes tourism did our car..lbut they have now hotels/rooms listen out side of their immediate area...so I hadn't even tried them... I dont think I'll make a reservation... I'll just take a pick when we get there.... they all wont be full in september.... if all else fails...we'll just travel back to our RCI time share.... at Sandy Point... thanks ...... KB5NEJ
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Merlin »

Oh...BTW...... what the world is that........Band Stand???
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

I am so confused!!! :? :? :? :?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Merlin,it is an outdoor covered stage that aband plays on
David :D
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Merlin »

I received email from Cholsons but they didnt say how you make reservations with them.... :roll: How do you make reservations at these locations..? without secure sites?

Thanks, Guys...
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

merlin, you have to check with THEM, how to make your reservations. everybody does it differently. I don't think they have credit card machine anyway, so what do you need a secure site for? most of the smaller places take the deposit via western union. or you just follow the advice of the wise man and check yes-tourism. they can help you with the booking...

have a great time

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Merlin »

yes I know.... i know.... but the reason I didnt contact Yes tourism is this one wasn't listed on their site... I didnt think they worked with anything at the other end of the island... thanks,
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Merlin

My understanding is that YT can book guests at pretty much any accommodation on the island. I believe their site just lists a few featured properties that they particularly recommend.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

yes, steve, I think that's how it works. we are not featured, but they would give us a ring if someone askes for us...
give it a try, merlin...
sunny greetings steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

Return to “Cholson Chalets”