Security Query - Rainbow Resort

Your questions on medical and security issues
Chris K M

Security Query - Rainbow Resort

Post by Chris K M »

Hello! I'm new to the forum but have been reading around some of the posts. My wife and I are planning to come to Tobago in December / Janaury and have been looking at staying at the Rainbow Resort. It all looks great there but we then read about break-ins and associated crime, not only there but on the island generally.
We live in London and realise that crime is everywhere but as we haven't been to Tobago before I was just wondering if the Rainbow is in a 'safe' area of if we could do better in terms of personal security?
We have travelled in India and understand the importance of common sense when it comes to personal safety but there seem to be some really nasty report of crime on Tobago out there. Any advice?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Chris

Welcome aboard!

Crime and personal security is relative and largely about perception, so its difficult to advise. I'm not aware of any reason that the Rainbow Resort should be any more vulnerable than anywhere else in the Crown Point region. Yes, its all very largely about taking a common-sense approach to things. My best advice is to read through the messages and reports in this forum and decide if you feel comfortable.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris K M

Post by Chris K M »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if to read more or to wish we'd read less!! As ever with the Internet you can find out a wealth of info and the bad stories stick in your mind more than the good ones - damned human nature. . .

Clearly these reports aren't putting people off of going to Tobago, as I said I think it's just because the island is somewhere new for us that we are being more cautious than usual. I am half inclined to think that if we fancy a trip to Tobago things aren't going to change for the better in the short term so we should just get on with it.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Chris,

If it helps any, I upped and moved my family, from Essex to Tobago five years ago and don't regret it for a second. I read my (old!) local newspaper online every day, and more happens there in the average week than happens in Tobago in a year (and I come from a relatively safe part!!). I know where I feel safest on a daily basis!

Tobago is beautiful, the people are great, the beaches are fantastic and the weather (for the most part!) is guaranteed! What's not to love?!

But why take MY word for it??!!!

Blimey! I sound like an Advert! :roll:

Cheers!
Lisa.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Chris,
I feel safer in Tobago than in Bude!
David :D
Chris K M

Post by Chris K M »

Thank you all very much for your words of wisdom - we will be coming to Tobago for 21 days in Dec/Jan - flights just booked. Can't wait!!! Just got to read up and find somewhere to stay and some baches to visit - the fun bot now.

Strangely following the last two replies, my wife is from Essex originally and I am a West Country fella - clearly fated!

Thanks again
Chris
Linda P

Re: Security Query - Rainbow Resort

Post by Linda P »

Hi Chris
We stayed at Rainbow in May this year, there are staff around all day long, also a security guard is on duty throughout the night. We never had any cause to worry about security. We have been visiting Tobago for the past four years and the safety of the Island is one of the things we love, I am happier to walk down the street at night in around Crown Point and bon Accord than in Northampton.

Linda

Return to “Health & Security”