Refurbishment

70 room 4* All-Inclusive resort at Stonehaven Bay (listing)
Justin Beevor

Refurbishment

Post by Justin Beevor »

Hi everyone

I've just joined the forum as we're booked into LGC for two weeks in April, our first trip to Tobago. If only all holidays could have such a comprehensive and informative website as this to help in preparations and planning!! Great work, Steve, please keep it up!

Has anyone seen the results of LGC's refurbishment yet? I'd love to read any reports please ...

Happy New Year to you all!

Justin..
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Refurbishment

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Justin

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words :D

I've had no reports on the LGC refurbishments yet, although I know the swimming pool was closed last week (or just before - time passes so quickly) for renovation. So, I can't really tell you anything personally. We shall be staying there for a week in late February and hopefully our review will be out before you leave in April. In the meantime, hopefully somebody else can give you a run-down.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Justin Beevor

Post by Justin Beevor »

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. I look forward to hearing how you get on in February.

Justin..
Justin Beevor

Post by Justin Beevor »

Oh dear, there's a new report on TripAdvisor, dated yesterday, that claims there's been no refurbishment at all!! :shock:
Justin Beevor

Post by Justin Beevor »

It kills me to say this, but we've now cancelled our trip to LGC ... and Tobago ... and we're going to St Lucia instead. I would dearly love to experience what Tobago has to offer, but the reviews on TripAdvisor are just so negative, that, even if they're completely wrong, I couldn't spend the next three months worrying about whether we're going to have the best holiday of our life or the very worst. The comments about cleanliness, service, food, security not just at LGC but at the other hotels (Coco Reef, Hilton etc) just give too much cause for concern, and give serious pause to the thought of spending the best part of £5k on our one annual holiday, just to worry about whether we're throwing it away.

I truly regret this, as the picture of Tobago presented by this website sounds wonderful. Uncommercial, friendly, value, great diving and so on. But the doubts that are sewn elsewhere are too great to justify the commitment. I can only hope that reports will improve in the next couple of years, in which case I look forward to visiting the island.

Once again, Steve, thanks for all the effort that has gone into creating a truly useful resource in this website.
Angela Johnson

Post by Angela Johnson »

Have just returned from Tobago, loved the island. I stayed at the Coco Reef which is fine if you like a sanitised and anodyne Tobago, but it is clean and safe, if a rather artificial British enclave. Food was good if rather pretentious and unashamedly geared to conservative British tastes. Heard bad reports of the Grand Courlan Spa while we were there and when we drove past it my husband thought it was an army barracks.
Felt safe everywhere on the island and the "hassle" was nothing compared to other places i've visited. If I went again I'd stay at a guest house. Brilliant website. Thank you

Return to “Le Grand Courlan Resort & Spa”