Guest Report

3 apartments in Castara (listing)
Margery Nzerem

Guest Report

Post by Margery Nzerem »

We stayed in Castara Cottage for a 16 day, 3 generation (my husband and I, our grown up children and their partners and our 2 year old granddaughter) family holiday, and so rented all three flats. It was lovely family rental - the fact that we had three separate spaces meant we could spend lots of time together, but have some privacy when we wanted. Saffron (the studio flat) and Tumeric are interconnected, so when that door was open the top floor was one big space. To our delight, although Tumeric only sleeps 4, the balcony has a big table (seating, on one evening, 7 adults and a toddler in a high chair with ease). The sitting room in Tumeric is big too, so they both made great family spaces.

This is the fourth time my husband and I have been to Tobago, staying in different parts of the island each time, and Castara is the best - a fishing village that has its own life and pace and is not too touristy. Between the local fruit and vegetable shop and the 'fruit king' who called everyday, it was easy to get fresh produce, and of course there's lots of fresh fish, as others have mentioned.

The two beaches are very close and very quiet with good swimming and excellent snorkelling just off the beach, so we spent most of our time there - but, as others have mentioned, there are lots of other things to do too.

I don't understand the problems others had with the main road. It is indeed just behind the cottage, but caused no problems. The road down to Heavenly, which is beside the cottage, was a bit noisy; there had recently been work done to the drains and the road surface had not been repaired, so cars skidded and ground their gears - but there's not much traffic, and once the road is fixed all should be OK

Brigette, the manager, could not have been nicer or more helpful. The cottages were very well equipped - all the kitchen equipment we could have wanted and lots of towels, frequently changed. Ann, the owner, also could not have been more helpful, cheerfully answering our numerous enquiries before we went.
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Guest Report

Post by Tony G »

My wife and I stayed for 14 days in Tamarind apartment in Jan/Feb of this year. This was our 4th time in Tobago and 3rd time staying in Castara. The apartment was exactly as described on the CC website. On arrival we were welcomed by the owners, Ann & Yvonne, who were staying for a few days. They are lovely people who did everything possible to make sure that our stay was problem free, (even replacing a dodgy water pump before they left). The apartment was light and airy with views of both bays from the verandah. Lots of big, fluffy towels and regular changes of sheets, (thanks Brigette), plenty of kitchen utensils and a four ring gas cooker to cook up all that fresh fish from the Co-op. Fruit and veg delivered to the door by the delightful Bingy, who lives up the road - bless.

Yes, it could be noisy at night but that was only from the cockerels and Mr Wallace's guard dog next door - a good pair of earplugs sorted that out. We did have to put up with a rather dreadfully out of tune reggae-ish band rehearsing in the nearby Pentecostal Church on three evenings but, hey, Castara is a real village with real life taking place all around you, not some Thompsons Disney idea of what a holiday resort is.

If staying in Tamarind you do need to be fairly sociable as most people walking past on 2nd Bay Road will stop for a chat or wave good morning/night. If you want seclusion then you need to be staying up the hill but if you want to be part of village life then Castara Cottage is the place.

Return to “Castara Cottage”