Getting around on foot

Transport-related questions and comment
Aina

Getting around on foot

Post by Aina »

We're going to Tobago for the first time and will be staying in the Mt Irvine area. What would you consider to be within walking distance from there? We hope not to be too dependent on taxis, and renting a car is not really an option as I don't have a driver's license. I should also add that we actually enjoy walking (yes, even when it's hot!). :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Getting around on foot

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Aina

Welcome aboard! :)

Mount Irvine is quite a large area and, being a high hill, where you are actually located will make a big difference. The best thing I can suggest is our interactive map of Tobago (menu: Tobago > Maps & Regions of Tobago). Navigate to the Mount Irvine area, find your rental house or guest house and then switch on/off the different types of markers to suit your interests.

Better still, download Google Earth (its free!) and then load our Earth geomap. You will find a link to the map in a sidebar on the right hand side of every main (non forum) page of the site - or use the link http://www.myTobago.info/maps/mytobago.kmz - Google Earth is amazing and by far the best way to get an overview of places you are visiting.

I know it can be hard to relate distance on aerial maps to actually walking along the ground, but Google Earth has a handy measuring tool that allows you to zoom in and measure distances. You'll be surprised how quickly you get the hang of it and with careful study, you'll go there knowing all the road and cut-throughs.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Aina

Post by Aina »

Thanks, but I'm already crosseyed from looking at maps. :lol: I was hoping that some of you would actually know the area and be able to tell us exactly how far it is from the golf course (south end) to, say Canaan. And is it safe to walk alongside the roads, I mean traffic-wise?
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Aina,

exploring Tobago by foot is not really an option either. The distances from your accomodation are quite long
and i wouldn't consider it safe to walk alongside most of the roads.
For instance Mt. Irvine - Canaan will be several kilometers, alongside Bucoo Rd., Shirvan Rd. etc., where there is no pavement / sidewalk and drivers tend to speed to an extend.
You better take public transport like a route ""Maxi" taxi or the bus.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi

From Mt Irvine (the hotel road) it´s about 4 - 4,5 km to Cannan depending how you walk. If you check at the map you see the main road Grafton Road - Shirvan Road up to Milford Road, when you turn right. But the sidewalk doesn´t exist all the way and cars are speeding!
Just before leaving Bucco, there´s a junction, on the map you see the namn Carnbee Village, and a yellow road goes to Milford Road passing Golden Grove. That road is a very small road via and forrested area.

I use to walk that road, but I´ve been in Tobago every year since 1992, so I feel safe to walk there. I´m walking a lot on the roads every year. But there´s crime in the paradise too, and they use to see the different between those is new and "half-sitizens".

If you travel alone and in Tobago for the first time, use the big road or a maxi taxi. There aren´t som many passing Mt Irvine, compared with the road from the Airport up to Scarborough, but they exist.

Maps inside the Airport are free, and they are OK for a short vacation, even if they doesn´t show all roads exactly as they are in real. Check in you can get a good map at home before leaving, try to get a laminated one. The one I have is a "FlexiMap plus Travel Information". ISBN#8123-4911-1, printed in Germany.
Aina

Post by Aina »

Thanks guys, but we won't be going after all because of that stupid volcano (should have left tomorrow morning but our flight has been cancelled). :( We'll try again in November though, so in the meantime I'll just lurk around here.

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”