TT$ or US$

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
JohnHee
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

TT$ or US$

Post by JohnHee »

Planning my first visit later this month but not sure whether to go for TT or US dollars for day to day spending.

Any recommendation would be appreciated
:D
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: TT$ or US$

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi John

Welcome aboard! :)

No question - TT Dollars. You will never get a rate comparible with good bank rates from any shop/trader/restaurant, for obvious reasons, so even for Americans it would make more sense to convert USD to TTD at a bank. For us Brits (and other nationalities) it would be throwing money down the draing to convert from GBP to USD to then have a shop or trader take yet a further conversion for converting from USD.

Have a great trip.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by SandraK »

Must agree with Steve. We take TT dollars and that is all we take apart from our no commision credit card. Should say we rarely use that apart from the add on bill at accommodation.
No contest in my view.
JohnHee
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by JohnHee »

Thanks folks- off to book it now
:D
Alex Douglas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Alex Douglas »

Totally in agreement . Use TT Dollars,you get more value for your money. I spent the last week of Feb in Tobago and what I noticed is that I got a better exchange rate for my USD when I used the ATM at Republic Bank to get cash.

The ATM dispenses TT dollars but the rate worked out to $6:30 per USD as opposed to $6:10 per USD, at the bank teller. I hope this helps and enjoy your trip :)
JohnHee
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by JohnHee »

thanks again - TTD$s in my sticky mitts and packing ready to fly out later this week!

As an aside - Virgin brochure recommends US$S - so glade I checked in here beforehand
Michal
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Michal »

Hello everyone! :)

I'm going on Tobago next month. Should I buy TT$ while I'm in the USA or it's possible to buy TT currency on Tobago, on the same exchange rate as in the USA ? And where can I buy TT dollars on Tobago? Is there any exchange point on the airport or in Crown Point?

Michal
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Michal

Welcome aboard! :)

It is always a wise precaution to arrive with some TTD - but not essential. There is an ATM machine just outside the airport and two main banks on the main road, just half-a-mile (0.65Km) from the airport, on the main road.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Michal

I´m adding some info about the ATM´s

- The ATM just outside the arriveal hall, by the car park, is not always working
- The ATM by Republic Bank at the Airport does work very well, you do not go IN the tha bank, the ATM has an own "room", use your card to open the door
- A Royal Bank ATM s also found some 300 meter from the Airport, on the left hand side
- A Scotia Bank ATM is also found beside the main road, by the junction to Pidgeon Point
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

The Republic Bank branch, including the ATM, has moved out of the airport compound and can
now be found on the main road, approximately 500 metres from the airport, in the former "Pelican Reef"
property.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”