One Day Left in Paradise

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

One Day Left in Paradise

Post by Jennifer C »

Hello,
Well, 3 weeks gone by already, another Carnival season done and I am already thinking about how soon I can make it back. Never seem to do and see everything that I want to in one trip. Must be an excuse to come back. :D The best advice I got on this trip was given on the first day I arrived. It was "slow down, your walking too fast" and that set the mood for the rest of my time in Tobago.
Still addicted.
Jennifer
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: One Day Left in Paradise

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jennifer

Glad you've had a great trip. Our time here is rapidly running to a close too. Where does the time go?

You made me laugh with your comment "slow down, you're walking too fast". That is just so true here. I'm used to taking a 2-3 miles brisk walk with our dogs first thing every morning, but when I try walking at that pace here my head starts swimming and I feel that I'm going to pass out within a hundred yards. You simply HAVE to do everything at half speed or you overheat. Trouble is, when you get to my age, you don't like slowing down - I don't want to look like an old man, even if I am one. It's like my dad - 86 years of age and he now drives like Sterling Moss because he doesn't want other roadusers to think he's a doddery old man.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Jennifer C »

True Steve, time does go too quickly here.
I am a sporty active person so slowing down is not in my nature but it is necessary here or there will be unpleasant consequences. Plus my Tobago friends say that speed walking around makes one look like a tourist fresh off the boat which after 6 years of coming here is a terrible insult 8). I find that a beastly cold Carib helps after each walk :wink: .
Along those lines of being a regular, when I came out of the Caribbean Airlines arrival area this year one of the old taxi driver chaps promptly said hello to me and welcome back and asked if I remembered coming by him for Harvest (5 years ago!). It felt pretty good to be remembered. The people of Tobago really make the place.
As a bit of a review, I went to a Ash Wednesday "cool down lime" at Fort Granby this year and was pleasantly surprised at how they have fixed the place up. Food and drinks, nice music, good service and a nice clean facility. We went back another day and again had a good time. Worth checking out if you are making the trip along the Windward road.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Good tip about Fort Granby. Doubt whether I'll get a chance to get up the coast again to check it out. We went up to see the Tobago Cocoa Estate at Roxborough a few weeks back (most interesting sightseeing trip on Tobago currently - full report to follow) and i noticed that the Fort Granby area looked a bit tidier than normal. Can't think when I last called in there though. Must add it to the list!

Have a good trip home and 'see' you back here soon, I hope. :)
Steve Wooler
TTSPCA
Tobago Organisation
Tobago Organisation

Post by TTSPCA »

Hi Steve,

Hope you are still enjoying Tobago. No chance of a visit to the Shelter?
Would be nice to meet you
Mary
TTSPCA
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Mary

You're on my list and I will do my best. Our total focus is on writing the reviews and it's only when I finish the writing and photography that we can relax and decide what else to do. However, this week is a typical case - we move tomorrow lunchtime and I have only, within the past hour, finished my first draft of the current review; but now Jill has to spring into action and tear my words of wisdom to shreds. So, we'll be finished today - but then simply have tomorrow morning to pack and do other things.

Anyway, I will be in touch if at all possible. :)
Steve Wooler
Alex Douglas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Alex Douglas »

Dear Steve, your title says that you are the editor and chief anorak. I looked up anorak because I wasn't familiar with the word, according to the dictionary ,an anorak is a type of waterproof jacket. This meaning has left me confused, do you care to explain? I'm intrigued :)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Anorak (slang)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In British slang an anorak (pronounced /ˈænəræk/) is a person who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. This interest may be unacknowledged or not understood by the general public. The best known explanation of the term is the use of anoraks (a type of rain jacket) by train spotters, a prototype group for interest in detailed trivia.

Although the term is often used synonymously with geek, the Japanese term otaku or the American term "fanboy" are probably closer synonyms.

Origin

One explanation is that the usage derives from the weatherproof outer clothing worn by enthusiasts of offshore radio, who would sometimes visit the ships from which their 'outcast heroes' broadcast during the 1964–76 period. The term was, reportedly, coined by Andy Archer, a disc jockey of the time – presumably as the appearance of these enthusiasts made a collective impression – and later became generalized to mean an obsessive enthusiast of other activities. Another origin may well be the groups of train-spotters throughout the UK who often wore anoraks when train-spotting in the cold.

Explanation courtesy of Wikepedia - normally the font of all incorrect knowledge, but perfectly explained above :)

I have to say that I wish there was another approriate expression, because wearing a heavy padded anorak here in Tobago is really getting me down. I must have sweated (???) off 2 stone in weight (please don't make me explain that as well :P ) since we got here at the start of February. :)
Steve Wooler
Alex Douglas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Alex Douglas »

Thank you Steve for the wealth of information. I really appreciate it and based on the work you and the Mrs do ,on the website, I think the first paragraph sums it up best and really suits you .

Thank You.
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

TTSPCA wrote:Hi Steve,

Hope you are still enjoying Tobago. No chance of a visit to the Shelter?
Would be nice to meet you
Mary
TTSPCA
Hi Mary

Great to meet you on this forum .I have just joined and I looked up your website and saw all the wonderful work you are doing. My mum was one of the founders of the TSPCA in the 1950's (Margaret Watson) and it has gone from strength to strength. One day i hope to visit your shelter when I return to Tobago.I hope you get lots of support from the holiday makers !

Sally
TTSPCA
Tobago Organisation
Tobago Organisation

Post by TTSPCA »

Hi Sally,

How interesting that your mother was a founder member of the TSPCA. We are trying very hard with the Shelter.
'Our project for this year is to build new Boarding Kennels to generate more funds for the upkeep of the Shelter as we get very little help from Government.
When will you be visiting Tobago, do come and see us.
Mary Soodeen
Chairman TSPCA
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Hi Mary

There has never been much interest by the Goverment to fund animal charities on any of these islands, whether in the Caribbean or the Pacific, as animals are low on their priority list. This makes your fund raising work all the harder and more important. Your plan to build Boarding Kennels to raise much needed funds, sounds an excellent idea.

Hopefully visitors to Tobago reading this, will leave their left over money to you (and maybe more). In Vanuatu there is a collection box at the Airport to help fund a project to educate school children in how to look after animals and the result is quite apparent with more and more happy (but thin) stray dogs.

Good Luck with your fundraising!

Sally
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

I am confident that TTSPCA does the necessary to AVOID plenty stray dogs in Tobago.
At some point in time i had about 10 strays in my yard when i wasn't there, they were digging under my fence, slept
(and crapped) in my garage, chewed the 2x4 of my porch rail and carried loads of stinking garbage in my yard.
I can really do without any such acitivity and i am glad that my neighbours stopped feeding stray dogs and
made them move out.
I agree that children should be encouraged to take responsibility for a pet, but it must not mean that they feed crowds of stray dogs.
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

No one wants stray dogs wrecking their yards and I agree that AVOIDING having stray dogs at all is the answer. That's why the TTSPCA is doing such a good job and needs all the support it can get!

Growing up in Tobago 50 years ago, I vividly remember the many stray and starving dogs around every bend. That is one of the reasons why the Tobago Branch was formed. On my last visit I was heartened to see how much it had changed and what a wonderful job the volunteers at the Shelter are doing.

Sally

Return to “General Questions & Comment”