Help from the US "Transfering" money to TT Bank

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Darenda
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Help from the US "Transfering" money to TT Bank

Post by Darenda »

We are renting a villa in Tobago. I need to make a first payment and my bank in the US is telling me I have to WIRE money at a cost $75! Does anyone have any other way to do this? I have called AAA, spoken with several banks in my area and all have confirmed there is not another option but the landlord for the villa we are renting tells me others from the US, Cananda and UK do a "Transfer" at a minimal cost. Thanks for any advice.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Help from the US "Transfering" money to TT Bank

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Darenda

This is a regular problem as very few villa owners can accept payment by card. However, US$75 charge does seem excessive. You will need to liaise with the villa owner, because only they can say what payment medium will be available to them. I've no personal experience of transferring funds from North America, but I believe Western Union is a fairly cheap option. I'm sure lots of others will dive in with more accurate and meaningful advice.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hi,
You can send a USD draft by mail,this is the cheapest way, just bear in mind that the cheque will ususally take up to 15 working days to clear with the local bank.
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com
Darenda
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Darenda »

thanks to both of those replys, I am checking into both options!
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi,
Patrick...are you sure about sending a draft by mail?? We've had friends and heard stories of mail with money (even drafts) just not arriving.
$75 does seem excessive...I think Western Union charges a percentage of the amount....and there are Western Union offices at Pennysavers and probably elsewhere on the island. Should not be a problem for your landlord to access.
Cheers, Carol
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

I have some tour operators from Germany that pay me with USD drafts issued by their US partner banks and sent with regular mail, never had a problem ....so far.Of course you can send them by registered mail or DHL, UPS etc.
Patrick Dankou
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

I second. I receive cheques from the US on a regular basis. No problems whatsoever.
Mail from the US to Trinidad takes about one week.
US$ 75 is not acceptable.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

But then it takes another two weeks to get to Tobago! :lol:

Hugh 8)
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hey Hugh,
I agree ...thought maybe my mother who lives in the US was using the wrong post office for mail to Tobago!!

Darenda,
I sure hope you have a wonderful trip...your problems getting here and trying to arrange monies may have you wondering if it's worth it....it is!

Cheers, Carol
Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Jennifer C »

On mailing stuff to Tobago.
I was recently in Tobago and while I was there a letter arrived from myself for a friend in Tobago. Everybody laughed about mailing a letter that I could have just brought myself. What they did not know was that I had mailed that letter 6 weeks earlier. I had been told that it takes about 2 weeks for mail to get to Tobago but that clearly is not always true. Luckily that letter was not for something important like downpayments for reservations. So just be aware that things can take a while to arrive or in some cases already opened (yes, that has happened to me too).
Good luck with your trip. I am sure that it will all come together and you will have a great time on the island.
Darenda
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Darenda »

Wow! as always this site offers very helpful information! I have found "Money Grams" (Walmart of all places)! About $9 for every 500 you send! The pick up is any RBTT in Tobago and Trinidad! I can also send money to myself and have it waiting there for me to pick up so I don't have to bring a lot of cash.

We are taking some TTD with us, getting those from AAA, takes about a week for AAA to order and recieve them. Any thoughts on how much TTD to bring with us? Family of 5 eating out 3-4 nights, some shopping. Do most places take Visa? Hummm maybe I should start another Post!

Carol I do totally believe it is all worth it! All of the insight this website provides is very promising and response from great supporters like you leave me without major concerns. So thank you thank you! But honestly this really has been the most difficult of vacations to plan and I would not have pursued it if all of you guys on this site have not been so helpful!

Keep posting!! :D
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hi,
Don't buy too much TTD or bring a lot of cash, you will be surprised how far you can get with VISA/MC in Trinidad & Tobago,
most supermarkets and restaurants as well as souvenir shops accept them. Besides your exchange rate is so much better when you use your card. Forget about Amex, it's not very popular over here.
Patrick Dankou
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

But beware the international fees for using credit cards!

Hugh 8)
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

My two cents on this:
My own experience in receiving US drafts in the mail fro the US is that it's quite reliable and takes about a week. Then it's another 2-3 weeks for the draft to clear. I've had no losses in the mail.

To access cash in Tobago, if you have a debit card that is Cirrus or Plus compatible, you can withdraw TT cash in Tobago from ATMs whenever you need it. Just remember that there is a transaction service charge so you shouldn't do it too often for small amounts.
Clyde

Return to “General Questions & Comment”