Tobago Birds of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Tobago Birds of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre

Post by Steve Pitts »

I have seen two references to the Tobago Birds of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre on myTobago - both refering to the use of captive raptors as a deterrent (at The Tobago Cocoa Estate and Coco Reef Resort) for nuisance birds.

Is there a visitor centre or can a pre-arranged visit be arranged?

Even a Google search doesn't find a website or blog

Thanks
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Tobago Birds of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

Good question!

Currently, Kelton Thomas does not have premises. His birds are kept in a building behind his home in Canaan. I have visited it and the birds are clearly well looked after, but it is clearly not an ideal environment to be in a built-up urban area. Ignorant mindless idiots in the local community appear to agree with this - but for very different reasons to my own. His aviary has been regularly attacked by local hooligans and was set on fire once, with the loss of life of a couple of his birds.

Fortunately, the THA have decided to do something good for once (makes a change from mindless squandering of money building a goat racing stadium) and have provided Kelton with some land in a more suitable location. It will take a few years until the bush has been cleared, the aviary built and I will certainly advise when that has been done and the facility is open to the public.

Fully trained as a falconer in Scotlant, Kelton is doing an extremely worthwhile job and deserves all the encouragement he can be given.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Tobago Birds of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the detailed info.
What on earth posseses these people to vandalise a bird rescue centre? :shock:

Good news that Kelton has some land for his birds and I hope that in time he establishes a breeding program.

I'm sure he will be aware that orgs such as the Audubon Society, RSPB, WWF may be worth contacting for future funding for out buildings, aviaries etc.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”