Little Tobago or Bloody Bay Rainforest?

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Nicola A
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Little Tobago or Bloody Bay Rainforest?

Post by Nicola A »

I am planning to book a tour with Newton George following great recommendations. However, I am undecided whether to book the Little Tobago Bird Sanctuary or the Bloody Bay Rainforest.

I have read some feedback that apart from the nesting seabirds on Little Tobago, there is very little in terms of wildlife to see there. Is this true? If so, perhaps we would find the Bloody Bay Rainforest more fulfilling in terms of nature spotting..?

Also - I know that it is possible to book a glass bottom boat to Little Tobago from Speyside, is it worth doing this as a cheaper option? This could allow us to book the Bloody Bay tour with Newton and therefore do both things without breaking the bank.

Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.
GervaisAlkins

Re: Little Tobago or Bloody Bay Rainforest?

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hi,
you're right. Besides the nesting Red-Billed Tropic birds there Little Tobago does'nt have much wildlife. Although those birds are quite a sight en masse and have been filmed by Richard Attenborough in the 'Trials of Life@ series.
The rainforest tour might give you a much better chance of seeing wildlife like agouti's or iguanas. Plus there is great birds like Collared Trogons and Blue-Backed Manakins. Newton George is a great guide and should make your trip worthwhile.
You can book a reef tour to Little Tobago but I don't know much about that. Maybe you can contact either Blue Waters Inn or Manta Lodge in Speyside for more info but I think it's a good idea 'cus you cannot get lost on Little Tobago and don't need a guide, in my opinion......as a tour guide.
Have a great trip
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I would definitely do the rainforest.

However, Gervais mentions the reef by Little Tobago and I did that last February ... it was stunning and I recommend that if you like drift snorkelling ... don't get confused with Angel Reef by Goat Island which is no where near as big and beautiful.

If you do the reef you can also do an hour on Little Tobago to see the birds.

Newton George is amazing ... this gentleman can spot a tick on an agouti's bum a mile away, get his telescope out and zoom in on it in seconds. He does most of his birdwatching from the road and has many vantage points where he knows what types of birds you will see. If there is a particular species you want to see, whether it be trapdoor spiders, leaf cutter ants ... he will find it.

On my tour there were 2 gentlemen competing to get through a list of about 200 birds they wanted to see and they saw all of them, although I noted there was one bird that they did not have on their list ... chicken :mrgreen:

Saw plenty of them :)

Have a good trip.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

There used to be combined tours to little Tobago with a glass bottom boat.
They would take you over the reef with the huge brain corals etc. and then take you up on the hill
to watch the birds. Frankie tours used to do that out of Blue Waters Inn. You best inquire there.
I did that trip about 10 years ago and it was certainly worth the money.

Paul ... leaf cutter ants ?
I have them in my yard, they always interfere with my orange tree :evil:
Two days ago my wife found a fresh leaf cutters nest in our pump house in Trini. I think they eat something
in the neighbour's yard.
I rather don't see them at all, worse yet look for them :mrgreen:
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes Andy

If you want the trip for either, contact Zolani (Frankies Tours) on +18683048513.

He also has a connection with Dexter in Charlottesville who can take you to some amazing snorkelling sites around Man o War Bay.

Or you will find Zolani near the Blue Waters seeking business ... he is good and I have kept his number for my next excursion.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Leaf Cutters

they are beautiful and fascinating ... unless you live with them, of course :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Nicola A
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Nicola A »

Thanks for all the feedback!

Paul; the fact that Newton "can spot a tick on an agouti's bum a mile away" made me laugh out loud :lol:

I'm off to Tobago this Thursday for a couple of weeks, hoping the weather calms down a little bit!!

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”