Charlotteville evictions

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Paul T.

Charlotteville evictions

Post by Paul T. »

Hi all.

I’ve never posted in this forum before (at least that I can recall). I’ve been to Tobago five times and will be returning for the sixth time in one month. Sorry for “lurking” in the shadows for so long. What drives me to post something this time is that some vendors in Charlotteville have received their eviction notices in anticipation of the proposed “concrete monster” being planned for the beachfront area.

I know that things can take a very long time to get done in Tobago (very endearing really), but this seems to have taken on a very political tone. It seems to me that several divisions are not communicating with each other and that some are using “cracks” in the law to proceed with their agenda.

If this monster ever gets in place, me, my wife, and our grown kids will never return to the village that has become a place of beauty for us. If curious, you can see for yourself at Charlotteville Beachfront Movement on Facebook and even sign an online petition. Hopefully the eviction notice made it as an attachment.
Attachments
tobago eviction.jpg
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Charlotteville evictions

Post by Andy K »

Elections are due soon for the Tobago House of Assembly.
I don't need to say more :mrgreen:
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

Welcome aboard and I'm delighted if we've managed to convert a 'lurker' - especially one with such an infamous name in the myTobago world. :lol:

Yes, the situation in Charlotteville is almost beyond words. I have been trying to keep in touch with the situation and had offered my help and support in terms of publicity when these plans first raised their ugly heads. Sadly, Charlotteville is its own worst enemy and those with the influence to do anything have their heads so firmly where the sun doesn't shine that anything we - or you - can do will simply be seen as outside interference.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

:mrgreen: Oh how very really Steve!!

Yes, it seems a shame. Have they investigated whether this development will do anything to protect the beach from the awful landslides that Charlottesville has experienced over the last 8-10 years?

Or ... is there anything in the proposals to address the environmental problem.

The North Coast road has been completed at a great cost to the environment but, conversely, to some benefit to Charlottesville in terms of tourism/comms ... have the THA learned to think these projects through yet?

I feel a bit silly saying these things on the forum (because Charlottesville is not my home) but, as Steve says, it is surely up to the folks in Charlottesville to raise these issues.

The point I am asking is ... has this been thought through? Is it just for redevelopment or are there environmental benefits or other benefits to business/residents/safety ... I don't yet see any method behind any madness or any madness behind a method ?!?

If there is any madness going on then some constructive and rational objection would make the THA listen ... surely?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Johan PS Olsson
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Johan PS Olsson »

Hi there!

Whats the current status up in Charlotteville, I thought I saw somewhere that Jabba had gone to court to try and stop this madness?

Is Charlotteville still what it was in Jan/Feb 2011 when I last visited? Thinking of going back there this winter and would be devastated if i'm met by a concrete monster or a construction site.

I'd like to thank the people behind this site as well, it really is the definitive guide!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Johan

I'm afraid that it's almost impossible to find out accurate information about the situation from either side.

My latest info "from the ground" is that digging started, but had to stop - assumedly because of the appeals.

Check out the Facebook page "Charlotteville Beachfront Movement"
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

They were happily digging away when I went there mid July.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi All,
For those interested in what is happening with the C'ville construction; ck out this
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/business ... 41381.html

I sincerely hope the village can work together and find an amenable choice for their waterfront; not what the THA thinks they should want.
Cheers, Carol
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Check out the Charlotteville Beachfront Associatin page on Facebook for the history. Alas a Phyric victory. The damage has been done to the waterfront. When and who will be able to try to restore it to anything like it was but in a more acceptable style.
Damages were awarded but don't hold your breath .

Return to “General Questions & Comment”