Travel from Charlotteville to Speyside

Transport-related questions and comment
Nicola A
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Travel from Charlotteville to Speyside

Post by Nicola A »

Hello!

I am off to Tobago next week, and wondered if anyone could advise on the best way to get to Speyside from Charlotteville?

I know it's not very far by car, but was wondering if a bus route went that way, or whether you have to get a taxi?

Or perhaps there is a walkable trail, if so how long would this take? (I don't mind a bit of an uphill hike).

Thanks for your help!
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Travel from Charlotteville to Speyside

Post by Andy K »

Nicola,

the public transport system has improved within the last few years.
There are buses going from Scarborough via Speyside to Charlotteville.
Not very often though. Also at certain hours "maxi taxis"
(small bus route taxis, white with blue stripe) are on that same
route. You may also catch a car / taxi for a few dollars.
Walking ... i wouldn't do it. It is quite a hike.
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Nicola,

There are buses that run, not sure of the schedule seems like every 2 or 3 hours. A bus comes up from Scarborough and turns around in C-ville. Turn around time is 20-30 minutes. If you are staying in C-ville ask about the buses. You must have a ticket before you get on the bus. You have to be at a bus stop to get on the bus. There are Maxi and mini taxis which are small and large vans with the white blue stripe which you can get on. Maxis and mini's you can flag down anywhere. There are also just one color vans that act like taxis which you can catch. If you stand at the corner on the Workshop Sea Tours side of the road across from Sharon and Phebes you can flag almost any body down to catch a ride for a couple of TTs ask how much. Don't go to late or return to late it might be hard to catch a ride. If you are going to Speyside to do an activity they may come and pick you up and return you. There are private cars in C-ville who will take you and pick you up but you will have to ask. Curtis at WorkShop Sea tours can tell you whats available and the going rates. If you are really in good shape and /or have the time, some people do make the walk. Phil
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hey Phil,

You got me wondering . . . is there a path or would a person be walking on the road? I would hesitate to walk that steep and narrow road even in broad daylight! Traffic is my concern.

Thanks, Hugh 8)
GervaisAlkins

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hi,
you'd have to walk on the road since there is no path or sidewalk. Frankly there's no where to put a sidewalk since the roads are so windy and space is at a premium.
Sadly there was a nice jeep road called the 'Cow Ridge Trail' that can take you from Flagstaff Hill (above C'ville) to C'ville without seeing the main road but part of this jeep road 'collapsed' after Hurricane Ivan in early 2000.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Thanks Gervais,

That's what I thought. Sounds very risky even before you factor in the heat.

Hugh 8)
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Hugh, Gervais is right you have to walk the road. I have never heard of anyone who was walking getting bounced. If you stay alert you can usually hear cars and trucks coming. I have walked up and back to Flagstaff before. Just keep to the side. There are still a couple of trails from C'ville to Flagstaff. Then you could take a trail from Flagstaff to Starwood and then on to Bluewaters and Speyside. This would be a good hike for the day but you would probably want to get a ride back. There is also a trail from the top of the hill at the Flagstaff road intersection into Speyside which will either take you to near the Speyside lookout or down some where around Clintons bar. Phil
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Phil,

I would love to get maps or sketches of the access points to these trail. I'll be back mid-July, hoping to get some more good photos.

Thanks, Hugh 8)

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”