Good do with a little help and advice

Your questions on medical and security issues
TimmyFied
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Good do with a little help and advice

Post by TimmyFied »

We are coming to Tobago for the first time in 6 weeks, but frankly we have been very concerned with the "alledged" level of crime... I have done my research and can see that it is perhaps not as bad as made out. However, we would ask anyones advice for a safe hotel with 24 hour security and the basic grills over windows etc, as I am finding it difficult to find anywhere which actually mentions this type of thing. I am probably worrying far too much...
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Good do with a little help and advice

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Timmy

Welcome aboard!

Without knowing what and where these alleged levels of crime are mentioned, I can’t comment. You quite correctly say that you have done your research and can see that it perhaps not as bad as made out and I suspect that that is the truth. Please read the various posts in this forum and on this site generally – the site is written for and by visitors to the island and is as honest a perspective on the island, from a visitor’s point of view, as you will find anywhere.

Hotels with grills over windows? You will know when Tobago has hotels like that because my involvement with Tobago will end and this site be taken down. All the big hotels have varying degrees of 24 hour security, but in most cases it is very low key and casual. If that changes and the sort of security you mention becomes the norm, then I’m off elsewhere.

Relax – you will have a wonderful holiday (provided you don’t leave common sense at home and follow the normal precautions you would apply anywhere).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
TimmyFied
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by TimmyFied »

Thankyou for your reply. Which has pretty much confirmed my suspicions... Again I was reading other people's recommendations ... Goodness knows what part of the island they stayed in then!

It is always difficult not to let others even negative opinions have an effect on how one is likely to feel, but I do have to say that with the odd exception, reviews are usually positive. I guess I just needed to hear it from an 'old hand' as it were.

I am used to travelling abroad in unusual places, so I will take the usual precautions and enjoy myself.

Thankyou again :)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Any more of 'old', whether applied to my hands or my feet, will cause genuine security concerns. :)

Seriously though, be careful of what you read out there on the Internet. Most of these review sites (including Trip Advisor) are unmoderated - so you get the views of all the malicious, disenchanted, cretins who have been kicked off serious, moderated sites. We don't duck the issues here - as your posts proves - but neither do we tolerate the idiots. Every post and/or accommodation review on the site is read by yours truly and when it represents a situation that I know or believe to be untrue, or unfair, I don't hesitate to say so and allow others the same privilege. I hope that as a result, we achieve a true and accurate perspective of Tobago.
Steve Wooler
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Timmy,

the "grills" (burglar bars) in front of windows and doors are only seen at single houses / villas and business places,
which are unattended at times. Hotels and guesthouses generally do not need this security feature.
Burglar bars were almost unknown in Tobago 15 years ago, but have become more common since a number of
Trinidadians "imported" them in Tobago... the bars and even electronics alarm systems became a necessity for unattended houses because of an increased number of burglaries.
But again, if you plan to stay in a hotel, just use the safety deposit box provided for your passport / tickets / cash / ROLEX, and you are good to go :)

Enjoy your holidays !
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Picking up on what Andy so correctly says, it made me laugh because we had very much the same situation with air-conditioning. Back then, most houses were built in spots that attracted the best of the cooling breezes and air-conditioning was seldom necessary. People started putting it in, even though it wasn't needed, simply because visitors (especially those from North America) couldn't believe that you didn't need it. Since the building explosion, it's not so true - the best breezy spots have gone and lots of new villas do benefit from air-conditioning - but seldom to the degree you would imagine.

Funnily enough, this is also partly true of security. So many city-dwellers live in high-security apartment blocks and secure compounds that they feel naked if they go on holiday to houses that seem 'open' in comparison. So, more and more people are putting in high security features just to make visitors feel more at home. It's a funny old world. :)
Steve Wooler
TimmyFied
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by TimmyFied »

Andy & Steve, many thanks again for putting my mind at rest, I have now booked somewhere that has fantastic reviews and have spoken to the proprietor myself, so am all set to go on my first trip to the Caribbean! :)

I have been and will continue to read all the advice avidly, i do like to be prepared ;)

Thanks again!
Caz Booker
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Caz Booker »

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to post since I returned from Tobago as I've been straight back to running a business and working terribly hard to save money to go back next year!
I will say that the apartment we were in (at Hibiscus Heights) was very close to the few local shops and bars and the gates at the bottom of our driveway were NEVER closed in the three weeks we were there and we never felt at risk. When we were out and about we took enough money to last the day and a camera, nothing else of any value as there was no need. I can honestly say I've felt more at risk walking through English cities on a Saturday afternoon.
We were made to feel very much at home and I miss it like crazy - please relax, enjoy it, and fit me in your suitcase pleeease?!
TimmyFied
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by TimmyFied »

Thankyou so much for replying Caz.... if you roll up real small I am fairly certain there isa spare corner in the suitcase ;)

Return to “Health & Security”