Safety Issues

Your questions on medical and security issues
Danno
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Safety Issues

Post by Danno »

We have just returned from a wonderful 11 day vacation in Tobago, our first visit. After booking our trip, we had read many reports on websites about serious crime issues on Tobago, to the point that we were very concerned. We are seasoned travellers and fully recognize that crime exists everywhere, and common sense precautions should always be the rule.

Looking back on our stay (at a condo on Grafton Beach), there was not a single instance when we felt unsafe. We found the local people generally friendly, polite and very helpful. We rented a car and visited many parts of the island. We walked to restaurants and to the mini-market, both in daylight and dark. In many ways, the island felt "less edgy" than other Caribbean destinations like St. Martin, Guadeloupe, and the Dominican Republic.

I am not saying there is no risk of crime or violence on Tobago, of course there is that risk, as there is in my home city in Canada. But if you are thinking about visiting Tobago, and are concerned about crime, do not let that stop you from visiting this beautiful island and it's many beautiful people! We are so glad we did, after some feelings of apprehension, one of our best vacations ever!!
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Safety Issues

Post by Hugh S »

Thanks for your positive reflections. Not many folks would take the time.

Hugh 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Safety Issues

Post by Paul Tallet »

Ditto ...

I have been visiting Tobago since 2000 ... apart from one incident with some guy that tried to sell me drugs on Pigeon Point in my first year (or perhaps I should say that he insisted I buy his drugs!) I have had no problems.

Always be prepared ... especially when you are on holiday, anywhere ... you learn from your experiences and it is so good (maybe bad) that so few have bad experiences in Tobago.

It's such a nice place ... but be sensible.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “Health & Security”