Ferry from Trinidad: What does "cabin" mean?

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Nicole
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Ferry from Trinidad: What does "cabin" mean?

Post by Nicole »

Hello!

I'm trying to prepare my first holiday in Tobago. Some days in Trinidad will be a plus for it. So I figured out that there is a plane and a ferry. I would prefer to experience both oneway.

On the website of the ferry there are prices given for adults. There is written "Cabin Class: $80.00 (one way)" (for the ferry that leaves Trinidad late in the evening and reaches Tobago in the morning). Can someone tell me, what this "cabin class" is? Are there real cabins like on a cruise ship? With beds you can sleep in? And a shower?

Thx for your help!

Nicole
Murray
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Re: Ferry from Trinidad: What does "cabin" mean?

Post by Murray »

Nicole,

I can't really answer your question having never used that particular ferry. The one to which you refer is the Warrior Spirit - the cargo ferry - known as the slow ferry, which takes about 6 hours.

The other 2, the T&T Spirit and the T&T Express are the "fast" ferries, and take just over half the time. These are the ones which most people use when crossing between the islands by sea. At just over 3 hours they have no need for a cabin and I'd suggest you might be better going on one of those, rather than the overnight boat.
Nicole
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nicole »

Dear Murray,

thanks for your answer. Can you please explain it to me? Why is it better to go during the day?

The problem with the day ferry is for me that it leaves much to early (06:30, I think, what means check in until 04:30 at night!). So I would prefer check-in at 9pm, start at 11pm, arrive at 5am - if I had the chance to sleep some hours in between.

Bye,
Nicole
Josefa Patience
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Josefa Patience »

Hello Nicole,

the Warrior Spirit is a horrible ship. Showers and Toilets at the corridor. Noisy people maybe next to you. Just forget about it, unless you like these things.
The two speed boots have comfortable seats and nearly everyone sleeps after some time.
When you go without a vehicle you don`t need to be there two hours before.
When the two speed boats at sea, there is a later one as well. I think around ten o'clock when you travel from Tobago to Trinidad.
On top, depend where you go in Trinidad the ferry is the better solution. The airport is far from Port of Spain and you have to get transport ( private taxis are expensive ) unless you know how to handle the local transport like buses and maxi taxis.
I hope this can help ?
Greetings from another German on the island
Josi

http://www.goatdairy-tobago.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goat-Dair ... 1560439762
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Why spend the first days of your holiday possibly/proberbly getting over what can be an interesting ferry crossing when you could be here in 20minutes by plane.........and enjoying your holiday?
Nicole
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nicole »

Thx Josi, that helps me a lot!

I thought it would not be wise to take the afternoon ferry because it arrives in Tobago in the dark. I'm a little concerned driving in the dark...

On some days I found a ferry at noon from Trinidad to Tobago, but the schedule doesn't seem very regular to me. But I could make the final decisson, when the schedule for february is released.

@chris: I know about the flights, but I think it could be part of my holiday adventure, 1 flight, 1 ferry.
Murray
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Murray »

Nicole,

I think Josefina has pretty well answered why I think you'd be better on one of the fast ferries.

As for the fly /ferry debate I understand why you'd want to experience both and while 20 minutes in the air sounds a lot easier than 3 hours by seas, when you add in airport check-in times and depending where you are going from / to - a ferry from the heart of POS to Scarborough rather than taxi rides through traffic can make the total travelling time a lot closer than it would first appear.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”