Fresh milk in Tobago

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Fresh milk in Tobago

Post by WendyMay »

Myself and my family will be returning to Tobago in March next year. This will be our 3rd visit to beautiful Tobago and we love it. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy fresh milk anywhere on the island? We searched Pennysavers last year, but only found the long life stuff in cartons on the shelf. No one seemed to understand what we meant by 'fresh'. We always bring our own tea bags, but alas can't find any fresh milk.
We had taken a small packet of powered milk with us, which of course did not last long as everyone hated the long life stuff.
It would be good if we could find, if only for the children's morning cereal.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Fresh milk in Tobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Wendy

Welcome aboard! :)

Hopefully somebody is going to correct me, but in my experience, fresh milk is NOT available on Tobago. I've certainly never seen it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by WendyMay »

Thanks Steve,

We had what we thought was fresh milk during out first visit, which was a stay at an hotel. That was 10 years ago.Maybe it was made up from dried milk. Last year, we hired a villa and are doing the same next year. So do our own shopping. But no problem, if not available, can't have it. It will not deter from the overall Tobago experience.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Yes you can get real milk!
Smith's . 3.25pc fat . In half gallons. Red Tetrapak carton.
"ultra-pasteurised." vitamin D being the only additive.
From the USA, Richmond In.
www.smithsbrand.com
Pennysavers, Moreshead & Jesus Christ Supermarket on the Northside Road all 'usually' have it!

I am drinking my morning cup of PG Tips with it as I write.

Alternatively the goat farm at Patience Hill has goat milk & other goat milk products.
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by WendyMay »

Hi! Chris. Fantastic. Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes I have seen fresh milk in most of the supermarkets ... but it is not there all the time ... I would say about 3 in 10 visits I was successful in purchasing this wonderful mucus based product ... but then I was there in low season ... I had more success in the high season.

It seems to be an attractive commodity :mrgreen: Maybe I should invest!!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

So Paul just when is the 'low season' ? You could be here 'bobbing' about with a Stag with me!
At the moment the sea is warmer & 'flatter' than January - March, the weather is great , turtle popping out of the sand . Lots going on around the island, tomorrow we are off to Roxborough for the boat racing and other activities.
September is a great month here in Castara possibly even better than the other 11 months!
P.S and I am drinking PG tips with real milk in the morning! Alas the local digestives are not up to McVities!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Chris

I was there June/July ... no sign of you.

But it was my best holiday ... the sea was calm and we only had 2 days of rain out of 28 days. Absolutely super.

Also, hardly any other tourists ... we had the place to ourselves.

Will be back for Christmas ... so look forward to having that beer with you then.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Caz Booker
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Caz Booker »

Hiya!
Just to add, we went in August and Pennysavers had plenty of fresh milk, we bought lots and froze it as we would at home. It was sooo much nicer than the long life yucky stuff we put up with last year :D Was much appreciated as this year we had 4 teenagers with us who have never known the 'having to go without' thing (not with milk at least!)
I do like to be awkward though, now I'm home I've switched to coconut milk for my cereal...thank you Mr Tesco!

PS As you're all talking about next year now, anyone going over in January? x
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Early January we will be back for 3 months. ( sorry about that ! )
With the good Internet there I can carry on working on projects then go for a swim.
Cannot really do that here in January.........
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by WendyMay »

Further to my question of last September regarding availability of fresh milk in Tobago and if anyone is interested. I have just return from a great holiday in Tobago and in the two weeks I was there, only found fresh milk once, in Penny Savers. Next time I went there, they had none. I did inquire at Moorshead but the assistant I asked there, did not seem to know what I was talking about. However! There was ample supply of dry milk, which was preferable to the stuff in the box and nothing could deter from the fantastic holiday we had. Can't wait until next year.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Well we just bought a 1/2 gallon in Pennysavers Caanan.
Popped into Jesus Christ supermarket on the Northside Road and they had it as well.. When you see milk you buy it!
There is a Pennysavers in Carnaby as well who stock it as well as Mooreshead so sorry you were disappointed!
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We had no trouble getting cartons of 3.25% and 1% Milk from the Penny Savers on Milford Rd. while we were staying in January 2013. (This was a pleasant surprise because it was nowhere to be found when we travelled there with 4 small children in 2009!)
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by WendyMay »

Hi! Kurt. Yes! we were there in 2013 and also did not find. We were there again March/April of this year. We found the fresh milk just once in Penny Savers, then it was gone. Chris was right in saying "when you see milk, you buy it". But will know for the next time.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We're here now. The Penny Saver had lots of fresh milk (One Organic Skim, one regular 1%) in their fridge. Nice to see this...

Return to “General Questions & Comment”