Casper the White Hummingbird

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Casper the White Hummingbird

Post by Steve Wooler »

Ean Mackay of the Adventure Farm & Nature Reserve at Arnos Vale has sent me a picture and information about a fascinating white hummingbird that started visiting the Adventure Farm a couple of weeks ago. This have named this unique specimen 'Casper' after the cartoon movie and because he appeared out of nowhere like a ghost. Thanks to Roger Neckles for the lovely photo (click to see it in its full glory).

Ean tells me...
We have observed that all the other Hummers appear not to molest "Casper", it is as if they are afraid of him or just can't figure him out. We suspect in time that they may get used to him and molest him like they do to each other all day long. We have also observed that his Primary feathers are rather ragged, perhaps due to some deficiency as a result of Leucism. If his primary flight feathers deteriorate more it may cause him some difficulty in sustaining flight, perhaps that is why he does not hover much. Hummers live on average 4-6 years, the recent record we think is 8 years and that was a Rufous Hummingbird in the USA.
Attachments
casper.jpg
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Casper the White Hummingbird

Post by Hugh S »

Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

I had very little success trying to capture (photograph) those little guys at the Adventure Farm. Must try again soon.

Hugh 8)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Hugh

I know exactly what you mean. The little blighters move so quickly that by the time you've got them in frame and your finger on the release, the little sods are gone. :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ash_and_Jess
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ash_and_Jess »

Personally, I find the local birds on Castara beach more enjoyable to photograph... We'll, at least they stay still for longer! Happy new year Steve et al!

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”