Englishman's Bay

What to see, what to do, where to go
Matt J B
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Englishman's Bay

Post by Matt J B »

Hey all
I'm newly registered to the forum, although I have been a regular visitor for info for some months. I'm off to Tobago for the first time this April for three weeks..... Honeymoon.
I've noted that it's advised not to walk down to Englishman's Bay without a guide for safety, is it possible to drive down? I've seen it mentioned there is a track. We'll have a 4x4 for part of our stay and I'm a pretty experienced off roader.
Cheers all.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Englishman's Bay

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Matt

Welcome aboard! :D

I'm not sure what comment or information you are referring to. My best guess is that it was some mention of walking from Castara to Englishman's Bay and I would, sadly, endorse that view. However, driving is not an issue and the track off the main road takes you right into the 'car parking area' of the bay, by Eula's cafe. Its safe enough there.

However, my STRONG advice would be not to discuss ANY personal information with any locals while visiting the bay and certainly don't let them know where you are staying. I am sticking my neck out here, but petty crime on the Caribbean coast would probably allegedly drop by at least 50% if the family who run the illegal cafe and stall in Englishman's Bay took a holiday abroad. Can't say more, for obvious reasons, but I would gladly drop a bomb on that place.

Can I also please advise: Under NO circumstances take a rental vehicle "off-road". You may be a very experienced off-roader, but given the age, type and standards of maintenance of all the rental vehicle you will find on Tobago make such activities become high risk. Broken axles and suspension are common and, worst of all, all insurance would be invalid if you took any rental off a designated highway. I've even heard of situations where tourists who have had minor incidents along the road from L'Anse Fourmi to Charlotteville have faced huge bills for recovery and repair because the government had declared that road 'closed' even though traffic could get through. It really isn't worth the risk and is a quick way to ruin a holiday.

Have a wonderful honeymoon - I'm sure you will. :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Matt J B
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Matt J B »

Thanks Steve, perhaps the off reading line was a bit misleading, I was really just implying I'm confident in knowing what is possible and not getting myself stuck. On such a beautiful island I have no intention of wrecking it be crashing through the countryside, the less driving I can do the better.
Cheers
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

The short track off the road to Englishman's Bay is quite muddy even during dry periods but there should be no problem with a 4x4. But you can park on the main road and walk to the beach ... it's not that far.

If you visit there is a nice look out on the main road before you descend to Englishman's Bay. Photography is often best in the afternoon with the sun shining on the beach.

If you go to the beach just be sure you lock valuables in your car and keep them hidden.

You will probably get the sense of 'what is there to worry about' as you walk around this beautiful beach but, as Steve warns, eyes will be watching you and the most risky times are when the beach is deserted.

From a security perspective, it is best to visit Englishman's Bay as part of a group. Many boat trips go there for the excellent snorkeling and you can swim to the Beach without fear of getting robbed (i.e.; you not likely to be carrying dollars while swimming!!).

The safest part of the beach to enter/leave the water is the north end where the waves and currents are less powerful ... anywhere else on the beach is quite dangerous as you can get dragged in and find it difficult to get back out of the water.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Lida Walsh
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Lida Walsh »

Hi Steve,

I am new to the forum ... I am travelling to Tobago again in April. Just wanted to check with you ...is Eula's cafe still dangerous re:food hygiene and is the bay still dangerous because of he children? Asking, as we've been there 2x during last 2 years (did not know about the danger and food hygiene), and actually we really liked it there - both, the food and the bay. We'd like to go there again - but wanted to double check if it is OK or should we be cautious. Lida
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lida

I can only refer you to the posts above and my answer to you in the Restaurants section on the same subject.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Nicole
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nicole »

Hey at all!

As a first time visitor some weeks ago (I WANT TO GO BACK THERE!!!) I'd like to tell you my impression of Englishman's Bay. It is a beautiful bay, from the lookout and from the beach. We never had the water calm enough to get in, but I'm sure there is plenty of fish as we have been watching the birds getting them out over and over again.

We had a normal car in excellent condition from KCNN. In my opinion you can go to Englishman's Bay with any car. We drove on the coastal road and left it where the big sings point the way. This little way is may-be 100 meters lenght and only hard sand, but even on 13th of february, when it rained the whole day, the road was in very good condition.

At the end of the road is a parking lot, where nearby is the restaurant and the place, where - everytime we came there - some locals hang out. We never ever saw anyone behaving like a criminal there. And we were only 2.

For me the worst point of this bay (beside beeing very wavy) is, that it is too famous. Too many people there. You have to share the beauty with at least 10 people... So if you compare it to european islands it is paradies. But if you compare it to Arnos Vale Bay or Stone Heaven Bay you would call Englishman's Bay crowed. :P

Go there, enjoy it. And to feel more save, just leave your valuables at home.
Nicole
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Ha Ha ... try visiting Englishman's in June or July ... have it all to yourself ... it is calm and deserted.

But the eyes will be watching you and waiting for an opportunity.

Never let your guard down and don't be fooled by paradise.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Well said, Paul.
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Simon Partridge »

We have never had a problem at Englishmans Bay, one of our favourite beaches. Take on board what everyone has said, care and sensible precautions should be taken. However I wouldn't like to see it as a no go area.
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

I am sorry, but from personal experience I have chosen to abstain from all of Tobago after having run into Eula´s brood.
In spite of Englishman´s bay and the beautifull villas above it being truly paradise. I pray that the Gods someday will send their just rewards to this family.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”