Using public transportation

Transport-related questions and comment
Linda
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Using public transportation

Post by Linda »

What a very helpful forum this is!

I would like to ask something too. We (a young married couple) plan to stay a week on Tobago in August. We are still searching for a place to stay and whether or not we should rent a car for one or two days. We are budget travellers and we like to meet other people and locals, so we will prabably end up in a youth hostel or guesthouse.

What would be a good place to stay? We would like to use some days exploring the island, but we would also like to have a nice beach and some shops/restaurants nearby. Is there a place from which we can explore the island by public transport? Or from which we can rent a car for one or two days?

We would appreciate some advice!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Using public transportation

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Linda

Welcome aboard! :)

Two places spring to mind that might suit you. Both are listed in the Guest House listings of our Accommodation section. The first is Candles In The Wind in Bon Accord. This is within walking distance of Pigeon Point and Store Bay and lots of bars, restaurants and eateries. The other is Miller's Guest House and Bar in Buccoo. You can get public transport from both places, but you'll spend an awful lot of your valuable holiday time waiting for buses, etc.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Linda

Steve is right that you would use a LOT of time just waiting for the bus! However, if you want to explore the public transport, it´s easier when you stay in the Crown Point area at the Candles in the Wind.

Bus tickets must be bought in advance, you can not pay directly at the buses, you have to buy as many you want and use them at the bus. In the Crown Point area you can but bus tickets at a Jimmys Minimart opposite the Republic Bank, just ask the cashier for it.

If you rent a car, than you don´t have to spend a lot of time waiting for a bus, you will NOT see any timetable for buses anywere!
The other choise is to use the local transport, the taxis. They have fix rates depending on the distances you go.
But the problem is that there ar three (3) different types of taxis.
No 1- real taxis which take you from A to B, the reg.plate always start with H.
No 2- real taxis but shared ones. Example; route Crown Point - Scarborough, fix rates depending on the distances, they take up/drop anyone during their route. In Scarborough they start outside the Ferry Terminal.
No 3- "local taxis" the one you mostly see on the roads, same cost as No 2 but normally name plates which start with P and the standard of the car can be good, quite OK or bad. The problem is that theses taxis often doesn´t have a valid insurance!

So for you I would say a rented car would be much better, you can go wherever you want at once. But remember, they drive on the left side of the road here!
I also believe that Candles in the Wind can give you infos about a private driver if you prefer that, he can take you around to different areas for a day, when you want to see more than the Crown Point area.
Florian Jeschke
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Florian Jeschke »

Travelling by bus is a mess in Tobago. The last three times I Visited Tobago I always bought 10 bus tickets in advance (they are really cheap!) and only used one every time. Nobody can tell you, when the bus arrives. Ask three people and you get three different answers.
I have to say that I was spending my holiday on the north side in Castara and always wanted to go to Parlatuvier (about 15 minute drive by bus), so it is more or less acceptable that the bus does not come in time, because of the roads etc. But maybe you are lucky and someone picks you up.

Next time I will try again to travel with the bus, and again and again.....

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”