What did you find in Tobago?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Elizabeth.W
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

What did you find in Tobago?

Post by Elizabeth.W »

To everyone, and to future solo travellers like me

My time in Tobago did not turn out to be a holiday in the classic sense of the word, more a journey of discovery. Discovery of Tobago, Tobagonians, and more to the point of myself.
8 days without T.V, radio or a companion, in an unfamiliar environment, allows the inner voice to speak.
For 90% of the time I was immersed in "real Tobago", and came into contact with tourists on only two occasions.
Was I ever lonely - no
Did I seek Brit company - no
These thoughts never crossed my mind.
I walked in the most beautiful places, watched the birds, crabs, fish, lizards....;
Observed the sky, wind and weather changes.
Began to get to know the Tobagonians nearby, fish with them, they baked bread in their homes for me, I bought home grown veg, got taken to hidden waterfalls, the list goes on and on.....
Did I think of home or loved ones - no.
Did I want to share this time - no
I was looking out, out at all the simple pleasures, the real “time out”

During the week I felt myself expanding, was it the food? slow pace? for the first time in my life I didn't care.
When I arrived home the bathroom scales say that I am the same weight as before.
The expansion is in truth in my heart, acceptance and outlook on life.

On the plane home a passenger did a double take, "What happened to you? On the way out you looked stressed, tired and worried. Just look at you now, more zen and you'll fall over" I replied " I found my Tobago"

This message comes with a HUGE thank you to steve and the forum gang, without you I would never have gone.
Am I going back? :roll: as soon as possible
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: What did you find in Tobago?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Elizabeth - you so beautifully summed up the Tobago that so many of us fell in love with. It is not something that you can really describe or tell others about; it is something you must experience to fully appreciate. And, you will either get it, or you won't.

I am so glad that we convinced you to go. Reports like yours are what keep this site going. :D :D :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Congratulations! You really got it! Well said.

Wonderful story - here's wishing you many more.

Hugh
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Shame you only went for a week.

Minimum 2 weeks for me.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Elizabeth.W
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Elizabeth.W »

Hi Steve, Hugh and Paul,
I took a small notebook in my luggage. The intention to jot down names of places visited etc turned into a 40 page diary !! My pathetic little camera somehow managed to take some wonderful photos, not only of beaches, but blue crabs climbing out of holes, humming birds in flight, pelicans, fishermen....... I am in the process of combining the two, to create a photo book. So pleased to chat on this forum, to be able to share my experience.
Back to work tomorrow, but already thinking about my next trip. With any luck 2 weeks in May.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Dear Elizabeth,

Would love to see your photos!

I have a few to share: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lifelover ... 851139907/

The Black Rock area is very interesting and central. If you stay there again I will share the contact info of a dear, dear friend who lives a stone's throw from where you were staying. She is a Trini and one of the warmest and funniest people I know.

Hugh 8)
Elizabeth.W
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Elizabeth.W »

=D> Dear Hugh your photos wow =D> my poor little camera can't compete. I will of course show you. Not quite sure how to via this site. Oh and yes, I will go back to Black rock, so will stay in touch, if that's ok? I had to take 50+ pics to get 3 or 4 of the humming birds, I'm happy all the same :D
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Thanks Elizabeth,

I know what you mean about hummingbirds: I took about 300 shots at the Adventure Eco Villas and got only one decent edit!

Hugh 8)

Return to “General Questions & Comment”