Arnos Vale Hotel

29 room 3* hotel located on the Arnos Vale plantation
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Arnos Vale Hotel

Post by WendyMay »

This year, in March, I am visiting Tobago again for the 3rd time. The first time was way back in 2004 when we went to the beach at Arnos vale and enjoyed a lovely afternoon. My son enjoyed his first taste of caribbean snorkelling and was hooked.

We finished off by taking afternoon tea at the hotel and watching the birds feeding. Lots of humming birds.There was also a tame parrot. It was magic.

We returned to Tobago again, May of 2012, but did not got to this beach or hotel again as the general advice from posts on My Tobago, was to stay clear as visitors weren't welcome. It was even said that the Hotel had closed?

It was such a lovely place and as I will be coming again this year, with friends who are visiting Tobago for the first time. I thought that would be a good place to take them to see the birds feeding. Maybe things may have changed?

Anyone been there lately, what's the situation?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Arnos Vale Hotel

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Wendy

Glad to hear that you are returning to Tobago.

The Bronte family, who own the hotel, have never been forthcoming with information - much less truthful, honest information - so it is impossible to say. However, I understand that the gates have been locked, all staff laid off and the hotel closed for some many months now. The hotel buildings will be just rotting away and the grounds turning back to bush. So sad!

You can still get down to the beach via the path described in my "Arnos Vale Hotel ceases trading" thread in this forum. However, I MUST advise extreme caution. There have been a number of incidents of tourists being robbed while visiting that beach in recent years - although none (that I am aware of) since the hotel closed, strangely. The culprits are known - a couple of young local lads - but as is typical in Tobago, nobody will do anything about it. With no security or other staff at the hotel, the beach is now far too isolated to risk visiting.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We drove into the Arnos Vale Hotel, and three contractors were taking inventory of the places assets and assessing damage. According to the head contractor, the owners were in the act of getting the property up to 'saleable' condition for a buyer.

Currently the roof in the main part of the lobby/hotel was collapsed.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks for the report, Kurt. Frankly, I believe that the Brontes should be prosecuted for allowing that beautiful estate to fall into such disrepair. Absolutely criminal!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Sadly all beautiful things grow old and age, especially if unmaintained in the harsh tropical weather. The hotel was perfectly stunning at one stage - even Kofi Annan chose it when he was General Sec of the UN, not so many years ago really. Sintra Bronte the owner, who men of a certain age may remember from their childhood TV ad watching, was also a sight to behold back in the day (Steve delete this if you do not allow links like this, although her Devil's Dumplings are clothed) :) http://www.biginjamaica.com/wp-content/ ... sintra.jpg
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Years ahead of the Kardashians!
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Yes and better looking! :0
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We walked into Arnos Vale Water Wheel + Arnos Vale Hotel to see how much the jungle has reclaimed. I have photos from Dec2014, Feb2017 and March2018. At some point, I will upload and link them in here to demonstrate the different. I never got a chance to eat or take tea at either the Arnos Vale Hotel or the Water Wheel Restaurant, despite having been on the island when they were both 'open' in the late aughts.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Arnos Vale Water Wheel December 2014:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wCAwfixOupubH2UD2

Arnos Vale Water Wheel February 2017:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lObUkP35mIEj4YKH3

Arnos Vale Water Wheel March 2018:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tqGklZ2gaPQyX87S2
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Thanks for sharing the photos. It must have been 2014 the last time we had a look at the waterwheel. Nature certainly moves back very quickly !

Return to “Arnos Vale Hotel”