Tobago with Toddler

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
AH Jones
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Tobago with Toddler

Post by AH Jones »

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post here but I have been reading this forum over the past few weeks, thank you everyone for the excellent advise, this place is absolutely brilliant! :D

We are family of three with a 3 year old and we are coming to T&T in July for 2 weeks. We will spend the first week in Trinidad with family visiting different places and meeting my partner's aunts and uncles and cousins. The first week will probably be very exhausting and therefore we have booked another week in Tobago where we plan mainly to unwind and relax before flying back to the UK! :)

We don't want to stay in a resort but based on recommendations here and on tripadvisor have booked a self-catering flat in Crown Point. We plan to spend a big part of our time there playing in the garden, splashing in the shared pool and on the beach, sampling local food etc depending on the weather.

Could anyone recommend any potential day/half day trips that would be suitable for a toddler?
We were thinking for example the Adventure Park. Is it possible to get there by taxi from Crown Point and arrange for someone to pick us up (we don't drive)?

Would Scarborough be worth visiting?
How about any boat tours or visits to the rain forest? There seems to be mixed reviews for both.
Are there any other places you could go to by taxi or some group transport from Crown Point and take a look around?

We wouldn't want to spend a very long time in a car/boat if possible, and think any arranged group walks to the rain forest would be too demanding for a toddler.

Many thanks :)
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Tobago with Toddler

Post by Ronald »

Hi,
I´ve been waiting to see if "someone" would give you some info, but...

As you say that you will spend only two weeks in Tobago and because you have a 3 years child, than I have some suggestions..
- Adventure Park or any other place outside Crown Point, I guess that peoples at the place were you stay would be able to give you a good name of a trusted driver who can take you around for a day trip
- Scarborough, it´s a small local place with a harbour area, not a real townas peoples from Europe & US are custom with, than I would not go there. Not much to see unless you want to see a small local W.I. town and it´s also hot of course. There are of course local place and some smaller cafees (see myTobago website) with good food and also ice-cream, not inexpensive but still a good place
- Boat tours, there´s both the reef tours as well bigger tours avaiable, the reef tours can be bought at their hut at Store Bay Beach, other longer tours might avaiable where you stay, otherwise, see the Tourist information at the Airport
- Rain Forrest Tours would be far too hard för a 3 years child, it´s very hot
- During a Very Hot Day, than the Lowlands Mall can be a good choise, some shopping areas, cafees and so on, into a cool area

Check all info you can see at myTobago.info, you might find something you like there

Have a nice trip
Ronald
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

We raised our 2 boys in Tobago until aged 3 and 5 and their favourite place to go was the Genesis Nature Park, where they got to see and touch many indigenous animals. The cages are not massive or up to European standards but the owner was very pleasant and would bring cold drinks to a shaded area. Our boys also enjoyed toddling around the shady areas of Adventure Farm and watching the bird feeding there. Plus we did manage to get them up to Argylle Falls using a tandem pushchair - take a pushchair with larger wheels and you will manage most rural paths when they are not too muddy. A glass bottom boat trip to Little Tobago was another highlight. Have fun
AH Jones
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by AH Jones »

Thank you both very much for your responses,I really appreciate them.

Hopefully our hostess can recommend a good driver to take us out on a day trip or two, but sounds like otherwise we should be able to keep ourselves occupied just by staying in the Crown Point area, after all we are only staying for a short while.

Thanks again! :)
Pupuce
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pupuce »

Hi everyone,

We were in Tobago in January 2015. 6 adults, a 3-year-old, a baby and my daughter of 1,5 years. We stayed in our friend's house in Bon Accord.

All went fine even with a non-secured pool in the garden. We just had to have eyes everywhere with my daughter who was so happy to be there but at that age didn't have any boundaries at all. The first 3 days the kids had a hard time with the new time zone and we were up drinking coffee already at 3 am. But once they got settled it went all smoothly.

So there's no problem on travelling to Tobago with kids! :) That's why we are going back there in November.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”