loud music on Castara beach

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Re: loud music on Castara beach

Post by Julian »

We were in Castara at the time - yes the usual disturbances. In addition on Sunday 18th someone arrived by helicopter (star preacher?) shortly after followed a vibrant amplified service - hey don't knock the big man's vibes! then a DJ event, from the local school?, going deep into the night.

Castara works like a St Pauls whispering gallery with hip-hop - the sound propagates up the hillside so the slopes above Cas Creole are affected much more than the beachfront around the Naturalist. Adding to the problem is modern tech. A budget sound system chucks out much more volume before it distorts than just a few years ago (a guy spent most of the day amusing himself and the whole bay with just a laptop and a single cabinet) "Uneducated ears" won't feel it's loud until the sound distorts - as this is now at a considerably louder level it inevitable travels further and affects more.

A pimped up set of wheels passing with a 2k sound system tickling the concrete can be a bit of fun and is soon gone, but 2 or 3 boats (O Fish 'L Business hold your head high) parked in the bay pumping out different tunes is hardly conducive for chilling. We went down to Pigeon Point on Friday (a noisy place in the past) but it was like a monastery compared with Castara.

Diehards will keep coming back but the fickle tourist will keep away (romantic honeymoon to a pumping rap beat anyone?) so lets hope those that can speak with those that do and the situation improves.....
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm ... I have heard this because I was there.

(Hi Julian ... I was aware that you were where you were and I am sorry I was unable to make it up there and say 'hello' as I was unfortunately a bit ill for 10 days of my holiday).

The music was so loud that it was distorted through the speakers so it was just a screeching and unreadable noise from my end (Naturalist) of the beach and I turned my own 'chilled' music off because I couldn't hear it. I have no doubt that the dj's will be spending alot of money on their sound systems ... they need to invest in better speakers that can handle the output of their amplifiers and then we could at least decipher what they are playing.

They would be ill advised to upgrade their speakers if my understanding of some local business discussion is correct so for those that found it annoying then future holidays should be much quieter.

But ... I am not complaining ... I slept OK but I appreciate that it can affect others.

I use a little stereo thing and I am going to provide a little twist to this problem.

Why does another couple who were sun bathing on the beach come up to my apartment and ask me to turn my music down when there are locals revving up their boats nearby as they service them and the house sized speakers down the beach are booming away?

I complied with the complaint, but did some decibel tests with my iphone from their sun beds when they went off for a walk ... I was unable to detect my own music because the sea was louder. :?

So this has bugged me a bit.

If this couple read this forum then they will know who they are and who I am and I hope they can provide an explanation of why my chilled ambient music was so unacceptable to them, they didn't really speak to us or anyone that much and we got 'blanked' when attempting to say 'good morning' so maybe they will feel safer expressing their thoughts on this forum.

If we receive any rational explanations to this then perhaps we can put the general 'Castara Noise' into some perspective ... I am not saying I am right or justified ... I am being honest and I don't have issues in taking a proper ticking off from someone if they have issues or feel offended by me.

So lets put the noise into perspective ... have I offended anyone?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

Hi Paul,

Yes be good to meet up sometime maybe next year - I enjoy your weekly weather reports (and other pithy comments!) - thanks for the effort you make.

The waves on Castara beach along with all the other ambient would likely as you say drown out your small stereo after a small distance, and of course there is always the option if the noise was disturbing someone, to just shuffle a little further along the beach - it's big enough.

It's the big boys stuff that is difficult to get away from.

Mind you a tip - we went up to Mount Dillon (5 minutes from Castara (in a car) and took a chilled bottle of Chardonnay (Beer or Port works equally well) and watched the sun set to the sound of distant waves very calming and fantastic views. Surprised this location isn't in the sightseeing section as it deserves the full 5 stars.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh yes, Mount Dillon is an excellent spot but it can be a little windy up there.

The sea was quite calm and quiet most of the time ... shame you had to go elsewhere to enjoy the natural sounds.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

Update from Castara!

Generally the music has been a bit quieter. Tonight's a cacophony though, an amazingly tuneless karaoke is blasting across the bay from Blue Mango (the dogs barking are holding a note more accurately), and this is mixing with the usual noise from the Beach. Sad thing is that the guys running these sound systems will loose 90% of their hearing by the time they hit middle age.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Mostly there are only two levels when it comes to play music, maximum or nothing!
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

There's music then there's someone murdering "I did it my way"...

Blue Mango should be ashamed inflicting that on the whole of the bay!!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Ha Ha Ha ... it's now the Blue Mango's turn :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
CarlRam
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by CarlRam »

I know, the loud music is out of hand.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Just wait until I take my Mini-Monster Speaker out there.

Castara will be empty long before I have completed playing my extensive collection of Tina Charles, Val Doonican and Engelbert Humperdinck songs that were initially trialed very successfully against a bat invasion several years ago :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “General Questions & Comment”