car insurance

Transport-related questions and comment
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

car insurance

Post by Rick Hernandez »

when renting a car in Tobago I have only been asked about cdw insurance - do the car companies cover liability ?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: car insurance

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rick

I'm not totally sure that I understand your question, but suspect it is simply a matter of terminology.

When you hire a vehicle in Tobago, the supplier will automatically provide you with the necessary legal insurance cover. The certificate of insurance must be with the vehicle at all times. It will normally be found/stored in the front passenger seat locker.

The rental services operate very different terms and it is important to check with each. In the event of an accident, theft or damage to the vehicle, you will be liable for part of the liability - up to about US$1700 in many cases. Most of the rental services offer you Collision Waiver Damage (CDW) insurance which covers all or part of that liability. Have a look at www.yes-tourism.com/rental-rates.htm for a bit more information.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Rick Hernandez
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: car insurance

Post by Rick Hernandez »

thanks Steve for the information - I was pretty sure that was the case but never asked. thanks again - be there in may - can't wait - regards rick

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”