Views on Shepherds Inn Restaurant please

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
SuzyW
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Views on Shepherds Inn Restaurant please

Post by SuzyW »

Hi its been a few years since we last visited Tobago and we are going again in September 2017. I have found out that Bonkers Restaurant has changed owners and I wonder if anyone can give any updates on food ,prices etc. We always loved to go when it was Bonkers. Is it still good?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Views on Shepherds Inn Restaurant please

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Suzy

Hopefully some other visitors will be able to give you more current opinion, but here's my take from the time we spent there at the hotel last March.

Shepherd's Inn has become what the Toucan Inn should always have been, in many respects. However, the restaurant is somewhat different. The Inn's Bonkers restaurant was very much an 'international' restaurant focussed on overseas visitors. Shepherd's Inn is very much more 'local'; somewhere targetted at both overseas visitors and visiting Trinis and residents of Tobago.

Our visit was very early in the hotel and restaurant's life and there was a lot of low-key work still going on and staff and systems to sort out. That was nearly a year ago and I look forward to paying them a visit on our coming trip. In fact I have to admit that we shall be spending our first night at Shepherd's Inn and will undoubtedly have our first meal of this year's trip in their restaurant. To be honest, if the standards we experienced last year are repeated (and I believe that they will) I think it could well become our standard practise to spend our first night at Shepherd's. Our BA flight means we don't get out of the aircraft until 6:30pm and after a day's travelling, I'm a grumpy old sod who just wants to kick my shoes off and enjoy a cold bottle of Stag and a very light meal. The thought of facing those miserable faces in Penny Savers and having to buy even just the basics needed for a decent breakfast on our first morning are more than we wish to face - so staying somewhere near the airport gets our trip off to a fantastic start.

Anyway, if you are staying anywhere in the Crown Point area, I think a visit to the Shepherd's Inn restaurant could well be worth while.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Views on Shepherds Inn Restaurant please

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We didn't eat there. But they gave us a complimentary cup of coffee while we waited for early pick-up of a Rental Car from Sheppys (6:30am Airbridge-Flight is much earlier than the Sheppy's rental car opens -- 8:30am, so it was very nice of Colin to have someone pick us up at the airport and do the 'walk around and key hand off' in the parkinglot of the Sheppard's Inn. (this was not even asked for by us -- totally proactive service -- even better!).

I was talking to the waitress while we had coffee, and she did indicate that they switch much of the menu over to local cuisine. This is a good thing, as I ate at BONKERS in 2009 and was not overly happy with the food or the experience. (Alas, I'm back in Canada right now, or I would have given this a shot.)

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”