Sun Block - Oxybenzone and Octinoxate

Your questions on medical and security issues
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Sun Block - Oxybenzone and Octinoxate

Post by Paul Tallet »

This is an interesting one.

Please see this link that I have pasted from the BBC News website ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46046064

This prompted memories of my holiday last year when the human contents of a cruise ship and their sun cream products, swarmed over popular beaches such as Pigeon Pointless, Mount Irvine and Store Bay.

For days after the sea turned into a pale green soup and the visibility underwater was zero.

The attached news article discusses the damage that certain chemicals in certain sun cream products can cause to coral reefs ... or more accurately, these products simply enhance the effects of other factors such as global warming that is threatening coral reefs.

I spoke to my carer about this because she always uses sun block and, being an upstanding member of the Pharmacy profession, she confirmed that she buys products that are absorbed into your body and do not include these 2 chemicals; Oxybenzone and Octinoxate.

As for me, I don't use sun block, instead employing a disciplined spit roast strategy in order to toast my pretty flesh to it's limit.

So I have posted this to promote awareness to those visiting Tobago that the reefs in Tobago could do with a break from this too and if anyone picks up this post and does something about it then that would be brilliant.

So all you sun lovers need to do is check the ingredients on the sun block products you buy and select the ones that exclude these 2 chemicals which are not necessary.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Sun Block - Oxybenzone and Octinoxate

Post by Robert T »

Good post Paul. Ive known about this for a long time so I only use 100% natural, organic, biodegradable and needless to say ''reef safe'' products. They are more pricey but well worth it.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Sun Block - Oxybenzone and Octinoxate

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

I use this product: https://greenbeaver.com/en/products/nat ... ion-spf-40

(Not sure if it is available outside of Canada.)

Return to “Health & Security”