New Sandals Resort ... Debate

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: New Sandals Resort ... Debate

Post by PaulMakin »

in other reporting Butch has reminded us, quite assertively, that an MOU is not a contract. he went on to raise transparency as being still a major concern for them, insinuating that the govt should be involving the population more in terms of consulting and giving of accurate information. he mentions sandals frustration that there is no finalised plan for the development (the ones being shown on loop etc are "draft") and seems to be annoyed that even the specifics of the location of the proposed development(s) are not decided.

there are some numbers being produced online (can't remember where I read but will search later) about Sandals use of local resources, including human. seemingly some very high numbers of nationals employed in other resorts - 98% St Lucia, 95% Barbados for example. Sandals claim that Jamaica, for example, has an ex-pat/national ratio of less than 2%. encouraging, if the stats are factual.

However, for balance, it seems that not all sandals employees are satisfied with employment practices and there are a number of social media spats running !!

watch and wait !!

paul
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Worth a watch..shows how much the people of Tobago would benefit from this fantastic project..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnFPUX-ukqM
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Robert

Thanks for posting that and my apologies to everyone for the 2-hour delayed response to my morning's Inbox. I'm not familiar with the Afra Raymond, but he's certainly a very powerful speaker and his presentation will certainly have opened eyes, including my own. I went into the video thinking that he was a politician, so took an instant dislike to everything but his shirt. I also assumed that every word was probably a lie. However, 10 minutes into the video, I was rapidly changing my opinion and by the end of the first hour, was hanging on his every word. It certainly goes to prove my views about politicians - particularly in T&T. Words fail me.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

I, too, was impressed by Mr. Raymond's presentation and his clear thinking and speaking. I was also moved by what one of the the guest speakers, a Mr. Wright, said about how the entire area including the reef and the Crown Point areas will be ruined forever by building in the Buccoo Reef drainage. I imagine that destruction would also include the Mt. Irvine area even though it is up current from the reef. While there is a constant southwesterly current along the Caribbean coast, the Buccoo Village and No Man's Land areas don't get much of a flush - they are stagnant by comparison. This has been my first concern all along - what are they planning to do with all that poop and fertilizer?

My only other comment is that Mr. Raymond might want to learn the correct pronunciation of the the word "Buccoo". :wink: :oops:

A new issue has arisen with the sexual attacks reported in Jamaica at Sandals and other resorts. The payouts might put a dent in the Sandals bank account as more victims come forward.
https://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/2018/1 ... n-resorts/

Hugh 8)
Last edited by Hugh S on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Hugh
I shouldn’t have laughed, but ‘Big Bamboo’ is one of those wonderful calypso classics guaranteed to put a smile on visitors faces.

Never having stayed at a Sandals resort (nor ever likely to), I can’t comment on the allegations against Sandals. However, when the article suggested that their top general manager had promoted a rape culture at their properties, I tended to lose faith in the article’s integrity and suspect a bit of brownstuff-stirring.

Let me recount a true story. I heard about it, a couple of days after the incident, from visitors who were at the Tobago resort concerned. It was later confirmed to me by the General Manager.

A local man was arrested for rape after being found naked in bed with a 14-year-old girl. The man was a security guard at the hotel. The situation came to light when the girl’s father came down from his room, on a different floor, and let himself into the room.

Seems straightforward enough, doesn’t it. However, guests in another room contacted me to say the whole affair was being hushed up and the family “bought off”. Some guests were sympathetic to the young security guard, not least because he had been fired and was likely to end up in jail for many years.

Nobody could believe that the girl was just 14. She looked, dressed and behaved more like a 20-year-old. Everyone knew that she had formed a relationship with the guard, who patrolled the pool area and grounds each day. The lady who contacted me had the next room. She claimed that the girl and guard were regularly seen on her room’s balcony, laughing and talking. They all knew that the guard was staying there overnight. Nobody realised that the girl was as young as she was, so nobody had any issue with the situation.

My contact also posed the question of why was the father visiting the daughter’s room at 3am? The mother apparently didn’t hear anything about the matter for several hours. It was her custom to take sleeping tablets.

It’s a funny old world and I guess it just shows that you must keep a very open mind. Things are seldom how they first appear. In this mad sad world where every guy has to call his lawyer and get a signed consent form before going home with the girl he just met in the pub, I am just glad that I’m a septuagenarian and more interested in a cosy evening in front of the telly, with Jill and my spaniel on the sofa beside me. I mean no disrespect to our lady readers by that comment and any guy guilty of rape should have his tackle removed with a blunt knife, but there just so much political correctness gone mad.
Steve Wooler
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Yes, PC gone mad. If I was still dating I would need to carry full set of legal documents to have signed as part of any negotiations.

The song, "Big Bamboo" has probably done more for Caribbean tourism than any other promotion. :wink: In regards to the linked article, I just Googled the subject and picked one of the stories to share. I don't make any claims for its integrity.

PS. I edited my post above for clarity.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

R.I.P.!
Last edited by Hugh S on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Interesting news.

I was about to post a load of updates from a local newspaper that I read covering some financially suicidal aspects of the deal that arose from a freedom of information request submitted to the THA about the project … one example being 40 years of rent free occupation by Sandals.

But if Robert's link is true, that saves me a lot of time, Thank you Robert. I hope it's true … following my last visit to Tobago from which I have just returned, I am more against the Sandals proposition than ever.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

literally breaking news as I type this. it would appear that this is now over, announcements cite (amongst other reasons) that Sandals as a product feel that their reputation has been besmirched by the shenanigans over the whole debacle. TV reporting ongoing but the veracity of the announcement seems to be established.

i'm not entirely sorry that it's over but I cannot deny that I genuinely feel there were opportunities as well as threats with this development. a number of associates here speak of the overspill that they are already experiencing from the Sunwing flight and also from that "elderly" hotel down in crown point which is providing all inclusive package deals predominantly in the UK market. maybe sandals/beaches was a resort too far.

paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Too right … The Sandals was definitely a resort too far.

Firstly, it required a freedom of information request to get the THA to provide full disclosure about the proposition (which I won't go into until I have read the detail). Although it would seem that the THA were taking responsibility for everything, making the proposition very attractive to Sandals so that if it failed, they walk away leaving another empty resort.

The project would have destroyed or affected signature destinations such as No Mans Land and the Bon Accord Lagoon, possibly putting a lot of local tourist business out of work.

There were other options, Magdelena that the THA already owns; Arnos Vale (although I have heard a rumour that Serena Williams has bought Arnos Vale); the Grafton Beach Resort still looks desperately empty.

Tourism in Tobago is in dire straits … the Sandals brand would have brought visitors for so long but Tobago itself is a weak brand … that needs sorting out first.

Regards
Paul Tallet
essener
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by essener »

In Germany we simply say: Geil
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

As we rent a villa house in Bon Accord that is almost at the end of ESTATE ROAD, adn would have abutted against the future SANDALS development, I am (selfishly) happy that this obnoxious company is not going to be destroying the greenery and serenity of the Lagoon. I know tourism is always hurting on the island, and that it remains the best kept secret in the Caribbean, but GOOD RIDDANCE to this homophobic nightmare corporation.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

“Sandals Resort International has announced that it is pulling out of its hotel project in Tobago - one which was expected to be the biggest ever undertaken by the resort group.

At a conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in Trinidad on Tuesday, Sandals CEO Gebhart Rainer explained the company's decision to withdraw from the project, citing negative publicity as the main reason.”

This is reported in all the local press! Good news as many feared that there was going to be a massive detrimental environmental impact on the No Mans Land area and mangrove swamps. Also it would have meant the end of all those memorable beach bbq’s we all enjoy !!
It was going to be built with the Tobago tax payer’s money ( and I am one, OK!)
Hopefully the THA will put money into refurbishing some of the older hotel stock as they realise that the Sandals resort experience is NOT what people come to Tobago for!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

Thanks, but if you check the thread, you will see that Robert T was first off the line and announced the collapse of the deal back 11 days ago, on 15th January.
Steve Wooler
CTDA Castara Tourism
Tobago Organisation
Tobago Organisation

Post by CTDA Castara Tourism »

The Sandals debate has split the population of Tobago as has the Brexit referendum here. As a director of the Castara Tourism Development Association I have been to many public and private consultations over the last 2 years and had to be 'diplomatic' in making remarks in interviews in the press and media..........with all the repercussions that followed.........!
Yes I saw when Robert reported it but waited to have my input . We all know things can change very quickly on Tobago, as well as very slowly !
'Tobago Beyond', director Louis Louis, are now responsible for promoting Tobago and they are doing well.
At the World Travel Market, in London in November, Trinidad had no presence at all !! 'Tobago Beyond' were there in force and I was delighted to be on the stand doing my bit for Tobago........and Castara of course.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Who are you? If you don't mind me asking :?:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Chris Runciman. “Prof” I have a rental property in Castara and I am a CTDA Director .
Elliej
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Elliej »

Hi out in tobago at the moment and the plug has been pulled on sandals. Not sure by which side but it isn't going ahead.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”