rising gun crime

Your questions on medical and security issues
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

rising gun crime

Post by Robert T »

is anybody else concerned about the rising crime in Tobago?
Last edited by Robert T on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: rising crime

Post by Paul Tallet »

Have you read something Robert?

The UK Government has updated it's advice (25th September) but I think the only new things warn of increased risks during Carnivals and Terrorism threats.

I feel safe … my biggest threat is eating the 'Catch of Yesterday'.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Paul,
I'm talking about all that have happened so far this year. Robberies, rapes, murders etc. Just a few recent ones- two weeks ago gyro vendor shot dead in Crown Point, last week British tourist raped, yesterday Carnbee gas station + a Jamaican national robbed at gunpoint.....
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

the gyro shop chappy was at the al-wadi's branch in the spence building. really nice chap who had come over from trinidad, with his wife and young daughter, to get away from the lawlessness over there and provide a supposedly safer environment for them

CCTV captured the incident - was at about 01.00 as he was restocking with a friend.

i now have CCTV and am keeping my gates locked - i'm literally around the corner from the scene. Whole area is stunned by this so, yes, we are all concerned by rising crime, especially gun related.

there is a feel that the Police seem to be more adept at running this type of offender down but that's no consolation to anyone. First time anything happens to me or one of my friends then i'm off (assuming i'm still able of course)

paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Robert

I cannot find any media on this. Can you help me and give me a link?

I guess the recent UK Foreign Office update could be in response to these recent crimes.

In answer to your original question … No, I am not concerned. Trinidad tarnishes Tobago's reputation but of course there have been some horrendous crimes against tourists in Tobago in the past. Most of the crimes are not directed at tourists and this may not be taken into account in the statistics.

With the exception of Englishman's Bay, I follow advice and, for example, I have never set foot on Back Bay in all the years I have visited Tobago because of the warnings posted in myTobago.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Paul,
All of these are well documented in the media.
https://newsday.co.tt/2019/09/14/shot-g ... in-tobago/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO4HbKN72jU
https://newsday.co.tt/2019/09/25/carnbe ... on-robbed/
http://www.loopslu.com/content/jamaican ... t-tobago-4

all of these happened in the last 3 months and all involving guns ..... and a lot of people in Tobago feel pretty uneasy about it. As my local friend said ''times have changed man, seems like everybody has a gun nowadays''.
Last edited by Robert T on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: rising gun crime

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Paul

Most of the links seem to be about armed or planned robberies. Although this can be off-putting it's the crimes against tourists that are of most concern to me.

My concern is that Tobago can't catch them.

We have been blogging away on this forum for years about safety for tourists and I think most of it is opportunist, although I sense that crime does increase around events such as Carnival time.

I feel as safe in Tobago as I do in the UK but I agree that I am more likely to be a target … so far so good.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Paul and a Happy New Year (if possible)

I believe it also depends on the tourist itself, you have been in Tobago for many years and you do not stay into big resorts or areas in the south.
When I was in Tobago every year, I alsways rented an apartment by a local family I know and that is def the safest. As long you do not stay into a Big Resort with their own security.
You Paul have your "own security" as you are well known, and the peoples who own the places you stay at when you are there, are also well known.
So you and others who are the regulary visitors and know very well where to stay, what to do, and most important what NOT to do, are not so badly affected by the crime that now a days also is a fact in Tobago, if only very smaller compared with Trinidad.
I used to take long walks in in south and centrals Tobago, but never without my big machete on my back and my Ranger Knife inunxer my T-shirt.
But now a days it seems that one should have a mini-machine gun instead!

But as Tobago has been much safer before, each new bad crime is felt much more compared with the same crime i Trinidad. I did read that so far more then 500 are killed now in T&T, I use to say about 1,5 morder/killings per day and that is about it is.

I wich you a happy stay until you are going back to the cold in Europe!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Ronald … so good to hear from you.

I agree.

I do not know of any tourist related incidents recently although I know a lot go unreported. There seems to be an increase in organised crime in Tobago, only just before I came here 2 security guards were shot during an armed robbery at Penny Savers in Canaan, sadly one of them died and the purpose of the robbery was the increased Christmas takings … I sense that there are a lot of soft targets in Tobago that Trinidadian gangs would try to exploit.

As for tourists, few that use the resorts get out and about independently. It's no surprise when the hotels force you to wear colour coded wristbands so that predators will know what Hotel you are from and what package you are on. 'Free Range' Tourists like you and me are often more difficult for predators to assess in terms of the potential rewards, unless of course you habitually wander around wearing the crown jewels.

I think that the decrease (?) in attacks on tourists is mostly because there has been a general decrease in tourism in Tobago.

I feel safer here than I did 15 - 20 years ago.

Look after yourself Ronald and let me know when you are back in town !

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Health & Security”