Corona virus

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Corona virus

Post by Steve Wooler »

Do Virgin normally fly out on Wednesday - I thought it was Tuesday during their winter schedule.

We are currently at one of our very favourite villas, in Arnos Vale. It has the most spectacular panoramic views of Tobago I've ever seen and a wonderful wide covered terrace where you can dine or chill and feel that you are sitting in front of widescreen cinema screen. We saw the flight go up, 20 minutes ago, and were trying to figure out which it was. It was clearly a biggie and heading towards Europe, but being Wednesday, I just couldn't figure out which flight. My best bet was it was the Virgin flight and had been delayed by a day.

Yes, BA has been VERY shabby about this entire process. Like you, I received emails from them saying that we could change the date of travel, etc., and the same was repeated when I logged into my BA app account. However, when I tried to change our flight from Monday 30th to Friday 20th, they wanted to charge me £3,660 (2 x £1,880) for the privilege. However, when I changed the date to Monday 23rd, it dropped to a more reasonable £600. I settled for that and figured I would argue the toss, legally if necessary, when I get home.

As I said, if I try to book a new flight, they are offering seats all the way through into mid-April (as far as I looked). Maybe it would tell me different if I completed the booking process and submitted the payment page? I don't want to risk experimenting with the 'Change Date' facility of our Monday return flights - sods law dictates that I'd screw it up and lose our seats.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Virgin is wed and sun during peak season, not sure what will happen after they drop st lucia and fly via antigua though.

i have just left work - the after work lime part - and there are people literally in tears over their situation. more accurately in tears when they have realised how precarious it is. the implications of not being on that last flight (for most people) are incomprehensible to me

i'm here most of the year anyway so arrival/departure dates dont mean that much to me but i feel for them. my neighbours are canadian, snowbirds i guess. when rowley made the announcement they went immediately to CAL and were told "grounded". they spent a lot of money abandoning their flight via piarco and booking new one ways with sunwing. however, another canadian acquaintance has today changed her flight and is now on the totonto flight that my neighbours were originally booked on.

paul
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Glad I could fly home this Wednesday as things took a rapid turn. I hope everyone gets home as planned. Dont forget that airlines cannot let you be stranded somewhere as its their obligation to take you home. Also they have to take their crew home too, Virgin crew that arrives on Wednesday leaves on Sunday.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Important info
Attachments
Screenshot_20200320-205305_Facebook.jpg
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Virgin rotate their crews through their base on St Lucia - they will not need to be collected from TAB.

pax from cancelled flights will be re-booked, subject to availability. once those numbers are known i suspect (am told by someone in they industry but ? how reliable the info in this situation) that they will be looking to "rescue" from a more cental location that they can still fly to/from.

Mondays BA still showing green but no availability beyond ANU - next flight to UK is the following evening arriving Wednesday.

Friday's BA terminates at ANU (who remain open for business up to now) so it would be possible (arguably better) to get to ANU and pick up one of the daily BAs back to UK - no idea on availability however.

BA still showing availability through Piarco.

Virgin arriving as scheduled on Sunday but no info on availability on the website

Again - the people having most success in contacting their airline are the ones who have someone to manage it from the UK for them.

Paul
SueShard
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by SueShard »

Just want to say we can’t wait to return, after this awfulness has subsided.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sue

Couldn't agree more. =D>
Steve Wooler
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The whole country is pretty much in lockdown and has been for 2 weeks now. Very very quiet. Hand washing at most stores still open. Groceries , pharmacies and hardware stores. Beaches are CLOSED !

A lot of people have been laid off and everybody now supposed to stay at home other than essential trips. No gatherings ( liming! ) allowed.

The Government are taking it all very seriously and there are daily updates from the ministries of health and national security live as they are in GB. Confirmed cases are very low. 1 person has sadly died .

I will post today’s report after this.

We stocked up to allow for a month but have been able to get fresh fish and produce regularly up here in Castara. Saturday the area around Jesús Christ Supermarket was busy.

People social distanceI guess , masks and hand washing everywhere. A lot of fish and produce sold by the side of the road.

The ‘youth’ finding the ban on liming hard and the sight of a blue flashing light sends them scattering! The police are patrolling and cautioning people and parties soon broken up and some are arrested.

Some still not taking this seriously as in all countries.

We are allowed out and walk around to the groceries, asking people” How are you? , a lot of waves and smiles but of course no close contact......
There are no buses running an taxis can only take 2 people with the windows open.
Bars are of course shut but you can still buy Carib, Stag AND gin!!
We are getting a lot of jobs done around the house but it is hard looking out at the bay, blue sky and sea and think anything is amiss! Stay safe everybody, Tobago will still be here when this is all over.

Everything is going to be different for all of us everywhere But let’s make it better for everyone!

From Castara Monday morning.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks Chris - we all really appreciate your "on the scene" update. Keep it rolling. :)
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Greetings all

With thanks to Chris Runciman for sending me the link, visitors might be interested in the latest update and Q&A posted by Tim Stew, the British High Commissioner in T&T. Just click on the following link:

https://www.facebook.com/ukintt/videos/988538238216138
Steve Wooler
SueShard
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by SueShard »

Lovely to hear what’s going on from Chris, thank you.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

PM Rowley: T&T's borders will remain closed until we're satisfied that external environment is such that we can accept persons from outside.

#StayHomeStaySafe

#COVID_19 #COVID19 #COVIDー19

He announced a gradual easing of the restrictions starting this Monday 11th. Opening the borders will be one of the last , late June early July ! Our return flight on BA, cancelled 4 times so far is now 3rd July!

Further details: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 7384713914
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Returning to the UK
The U.K. Gov are arranging flights , 3rd,4th and 5th of June using BA aircraft from Antigua and Barbados with ‘feeder’ flights bringing those People from the U.K. who wish to get home from the different islands to the relevant ‘hub’!

From Tobago, Trinidad and Grenada you fly to Barbados to catch the flight to the U.K.

The cost will be £600 per person.

I have the full details here which I can put up but concerned UK passport holders should contact the British Consulate .

Return to “General Questions & Comment”