Issue with getting to Tobago

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
CanadianDreamer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Issue with getting to Tobago

Post by CanadianDreamer »

Good morning,

I changed my flights to the near future. And though I thought I saw many CAL flight options the other day...today I note that CAL is sold out. (confirmation bias, perhaps?)

1. What are the changes of getting on CAL standby next week as I arrive at 6am?
2. With a 6am arrival, can I make the 8am ferry (with pre bought ticket, no eh?)? The alternative is a 7 hr ferry at 2pm. Is there something I am missing?
2.1 Is the ferry prone to being sold out? late? Is there a cafeteria? What do I need to know about booking the ferry.
3. Is there an alternate option?

I am trying to beat the possible omicrion chaos, but it looks like it beat me.

Any feedback on how to navigate the system and get to TAB sooner than later is appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New/Old Year.
bless and safe travels.

Remember: keep you words soft, someday you be forced to eat them. :oops:
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Issue with getting to Tobago

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

They have halved or less, the number of flights on the air-bridge. I do not see too many planes coming in and out, but half of my family left today. Getting flights seemed to be standby only at this point, if you do not already have an air-bridge booked.
CanadianDreamer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Thanks, Kurt.

You gave me hope this afternoon for a standby as I arrive at 6am. Thanks for the reply.

And as luck would have it, once I arrived home I found TAB flights on my arrival day. I was so happy. But then the mid day flight disappeared before I could complete the transaction. Nonetheless, after 1.5 days in airports, I will make it to Tobago (I think. Planes still have to fly and I have to pass that dreaded test).

So to all those who are chancing a vacay, keep looking on CAL website as I saw three flights open up today for next week.

I am not quite sure I will board the flight yet as I have to read my tea leaves and see what direction the wind blows in the next couple of days.

All the best, and I look forward to reading about your adventures, boots on the ground is important.
bless and safe travels.

CanadianDreamer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Merry Christmas to all,

Be Warned: For Canadians using the convenient Switch (Air Canada at $150) home PCR test kit, this opens you up to to risks that if indeed you order a home kit via AC or WJ, be sure to order a duplicate just in case. My test results were "defective specimen". And there was no fixing it.

Take it from me, I had a very stressful Christmas Day trying to find a second location to take my PCR test. Would not recommend. Should have just scheduled a site visit in the first place and now I am in for $360CAD and waiting until tomorrow at 11pm for results. I fly out the next morning (or not, who knows?)

Stay safe and drive safely during this storm. This too shall pass.

PS It's the journey not the trip.
bless and safe travels.

CTDA Castara Tourism
Tobago Organisation
Tobago Organisation

Post by CTDA Castara Tourism »

On a lighter note.....A couple of years ago I had to come in through POS from the UK. As the flight was slightly delayed, only a few minutes, when we were going through immigration it seemed as though every flight had just arrived it was chaos. So I missed my pre-booked CAL flight.
Ya have to wait 'til the mornin'........and the flight is full so you have to go on standby, I stayed the night, that was interesting but anyway, bright and early I checked in for standby, a grumpy young lady sent myself and 2 others away from the desk , 'go sit there'..........We anxiously looked at the time. Eventually she 'ordered' us forward and thrust tickets at us. 'The flight closin' so ya have to hurry.........' We rushed to the gate nobody waiting so we were checked in thinking we were the last ones on..........You may have guessed what happened next?

The flight was empty EXCEPT for the 3 of us. I should be accustomed to it by now.........I hope you get across OK!

We fly out to Castara in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed, we are jabbed up and PCR tests booked prior to leaving so , see you there!
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

I find when it comes to Tobago, if you wait around ('go sit there') long enough, things have a way of working out. Airbridge, Bank Machine, Doubles-man, water-taxi. It's all the same, someone will fix you up eventually.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”