FOOD4U

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

FOOD4U

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Has there been no formal MYTobago review of Derrick Mcletchie's surreal-earnest tourist-trap FOOD4U?

Friends of ours met him on the beach at Pigeon Point (while we were elsewhere snacking at Shore Things), and wanted to try the experience.

Feeling wary (of on-the-beach promotion in general) and having driven by the place many times via Old Store Bay Road (where I always thought it was just another mini-mart), we were also curious enough to try it and we opted into the (mildly expensive) experience.

While the food was not particularly noteworthy, the entire experience was so off-kilter weird that I have to chalk it up as 'unique,' although I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a deep appreciation of kitsch with a side of schadenfreude. The night played out like an over-exaggerated SNL-sketch, which was both strange and amusing. Even my children (aged 14 and 13, who have been holidaying at Tobago since they were 3 and 4) kept looking over at me as if to say, "is this really happening?"

Normally, I would throw this under the typical tourist-trap label, but Derrick is legitimately earnest and eager to please, and his Bake & Shark was pretty good. (His Callaloo soup --misspelled on the menu -- is weirdly over-spiced, but not unpalatable, but pales to Shore Things and is from here-to-the-moon far away from Regina's at Cuffie, although that in all fairness is the single best bowl of soup I have had in my 43 years on earth!)

Steve: If you want a 'formal' review for the main site, I am happy to write one up.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: FOOD4U

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Kurt

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we were moving from Mt.Irvine to Speyside yesterday and moving day is always a nightmare for us with all the luggage and equipment we carry.

Funnily enough, Jill met this guy on Grafton Beach a week or two ago and wanted to try the place - primarily because he's the only person she's every come across with the same name/spelling as her father. Not the best of reasons perhaps. Anyway, I seen the place many times in passing and always wondered about it, but decided that it wasn't possibly my cup of tea. So, we conveniently never got around to it.

Yes, I would love an objective summary and description of their offerings, if you wouldn't mind. Please just email me a steve @myTobago.info (just ignore the space, before the @, obviously).

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Steve Wooler wrote:Yes, I would love an objective summary and description of their offerings, if you wouldn't mind. Please just email me a steve @myTobago.info (just ignore the space, before the @, obviously).

Cheers
Steve
Will do.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I will check this one out on my next visit Kurt.

Thank you for your most eloquent review.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Buyer Beware, Paul.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

FOOD 4 U has renamed itself as "A TASTE OF TOBAGO" and other than that, it looks like little else has changed.
Likely (but not confirmed) that Chef Derek will still be running it in the same strange 'tin ear' kitschy tourist trap formula, replete with gonzo free-form Karaoke and overly fussy food presentation that is utterly at odds with his diesel (1 meter from the road) and plywood (table tops) dining area.
We didn't go in for a second dose.

There is also signage posted for A TASTE OF TOBAGO at the Shirvan/Milford Light.

Godspeed, Derek. Godspeed.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”