17 July - Border to Reopen

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: 17 July - Border to Reopen

Post by PaulMakin »

Thats return and it is economy "delight" which im told is a (small) step up from basic economy To be fair, thats not too dissimilar from pre-covid prices and the terms and conditions mean it's almost an "open" ticket as available in years gone by (you could just pop upstairs at the airpprt to what used to be the virgin office and make changes for £50tt. You could only do this when the flight was in though as the aircrew were the ones re-booking you) .

What does immdiately strike though is that economy seats sell out quickly and the price increases dramatically as supply shortens so pre-planning much more important at the moment. Im guessing this is secondary to the routings with Barbados and Antigua bound pax booking up quickly.

94 disembarked from that first flight. Virgin still reporting 29 Jan for their relaunch.
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Thanks for the info Paul. Price not too bad if a return.... enjoy your economy 'delight' !
I'll be sticking with BA as I am retired staff. And, as you say, as the flight fills up - the price increases, so good tip there for everyone.
Enjoy Tobago, and we hope to get there at some point during 2022.
Jane Marshall
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Jane Marshall »

Hi, we are planning to visit Castera in March does anyone know if the waterfall, bread ladies, shops in general are open after 12.00 noon. Just wondering if it’s ok to walk freely. Also, does anyone know how to get hold of Porridge or Milk, misplaced their numbers.
Many thanks, Fiona
Ambroseosullivan
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Ambroseosullivan »

Porridge’s telephone number is 18687663656.
I messaged a friend who lives in Tobago and she sent this to me.
CanadianDreamer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by CanadianDreamer »

Good morning,

I am currently in Castara and can confirm the bread ladies are doing a great business on Thurs and Sat on the beach. They had pumpkin and whole wheat bread, coconut tarts and drops.

The waterfalls follow beach openings however many tourists were escaping to the local waterfalls throughout the day.

Word is beaches are open until 2pm starting tomorrow, Monday Jan 16. I understand no loud music or alcohol yet on beaches. I rarely hear loud music at any time.

As for businesses, a few more opened as of Friday. I heard Cas creole's loud music last night, d lime was rocking and Chinos too. Chino did have small BBQ with steep pan a week ago. Boathouse had Fri supper and open for lunch except Sat. No drumming as yet.

Ducks rest, nearby ice cream shop, small trinket shacks, and a few rest are open on main Street. Rias is doing take out orders. Things are looking up.

Overall this last week had some activity though still quiet.

Be sure to look for the hand made leather slippers guy on the bridge. Spar can custom make you a pair in various widths as well.

Castara is waiting for you!
bless and safe travels.

Remember: keep you words soft, someday you be forced to eat them. :oops:
CanadianDreamer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by CanadianDreamer »

PS yes, you can walk freely.

Up until last week many locals walked alone with masks. This is now easing up as they are limjn without masks in some instances. Your experience may vary.

Have fun!
bless and safe travels.

Remember: keep you words soft, someday you be forced to eat them. :oops:
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

THE PRIME MINISTER HAS ANNOUNCED VACCINATION MANDATE BY GOVERNMENT, MOVED TO FEBRUARY 17TH.
BEACHES TO OPEN NOW FROM 5AM TO 2PM⛱ ⛱
Liz Williams
STAY TUNED FOR LIVE UPDATES
THIS POST IS BEING CONSTANTLY UPDATED.

BEACHES TO OPEN NOW FROM 5 AM TO 2PM SAYS PM ROWLEY ⛱ ⛱ :
(THIS IS TO COME INTO EFFECT FROM MONDAY)
PM ROWLEY SAYS HE INTENDS TO MEET WITH CHIEF SECRETARY Farley Chavez Augustine , TO SPEAK TOWARDS THE REOPENING OF REEF TOURS IN TOBAGO.
Liz Williams.

🔊RIVERS TO ALSO REOPEN, NO PARTYING, GATHERINGS OF 10, NO FIRES, NO MUSIC.
Liz Williams.
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

HI Chris/other intrepid early returnees - anything we need to now about arriving ? mindful that, this being tobago, what the web says may not bear resemblence to what actually happens on the ground !
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Masks , handwashing and giving everyone space adhered to more than at home! Castara feels very safe as did the rest of the island! Beaches 90+ cleared by 2pm apart from fishermen ! Great night at Chenos last night! Sun shines, sea is warm as is the welcome you get here!
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Does anyone know if Tobago Passport Control/Immigration is still checking vaccination status upon arrival? And if so, are they expecting visitors to be double jabbed?
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Yes!
Do it all online from home. It is straightforward!
Some people kept it in their phones but we preferred to print it out.
1. PCR Test 72 hours prior to arrival;
“Covid Test results Certificate”
“Fit to Fly”
( We did ours at Katalyst at Heathrow on the Saturday before flying on the Monday on BA )
2. Proof of vaccination (WHO approved); Your NHS Covid Pass. The details are shown on the NHS App. You can download the PDF copy of your vaccination record.
3. TT Travel pass.
Filled in online before you leave.

We printed and then laminated the 3 as we knew they would be looked at several time….
Disembarking was strictly by rows so no crowding or bunching up.
At the terminal hand cleansing / temperature taken as you waited ( out of the sun and spaced out ) before your documents were checked by really helpful staff at 4 booths. Inline there were staff going along asking if you needed help with forms etc.
Immigration forms are no longer supplied on the plane but available inside before immigration so you needed to fill them in as you moved along after the health check so keep a pen handy and lean on your partners back?

All very quick and VERY efficiently handled.

3. No quarantine required.
A fully vaccinated individual is defined as a person who has received the required number of doses of a WHO approved vaccine and it has been two weeks post the final recommended vaccine dose(s).
A list of WHO approved vaccines can be found at www.health.gov.tt or at the following link: https://www.who.int/news/item/07-05-202 ... 9-vaccine- for-emergency-use-and-issues-interim-policy-recommendations
Category Four – Children
A child is defined in Trinidad and Tobago as a person under the age
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Thanks Chris - really helpful and useful information.
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

I'm not able to get to Tobago just yet, but have there been any recent changes?
Are the beaches fully open yet? and are the entry requirements still the same (double vaccinated and negative pcr test) ?
How is life on the island in general?.....
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

https://ttravelpass.gov.tt/
The beaches and rivers have been open for sometime now, “No loud music.”
Obtain your TT travel pass and information from the link above. PCR test must be completed 72 hours BEFORE arrival time in Tobago ! An ‘antigen’ test is not sufficient! All being dealt with very efficiently by TT Health upon arrival before immigration. Entry obviously all takes a bit longer now. Everyone is still required to wear masks even when driving. Many visitors do not? Handwashing and temperature checking almost everywhere and for entry to restaurants. Supposed to be ! Feels very safe here!
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Many thanks Chris.
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

entry/immigration very quick for me - mind you, only 18 of us and the majority were nationals. Landed about 45 minutes early.

you're guided through the entry formalities very carefully and with patience and good grace. Like Chris, i had hard copies of TT Travel Pass, -ve PCR and vaccination record so cant comment on the efficacy (or otherwise) of the WiFi at the airport for those using apps. Staff knew exactly what they were doing and it really was very smooth indeed.

Landing forms were given out at LHR on my flight

I was also asked for the contact details/code of my accommodation provider (in my case, my own number which i couldn't remember) so have that to hand just in case.

scanner has been wheeled off to the margins of the customs bit, assumed faulty again, so it's the traditional few questions at the desk and you're on your way
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Thanks for this Paul.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Grenada has just cancelled all tavel restrictions. No testing, injections, quarantine required for visitors. Rowley is expected to announce something similar for Tobago today.
Armand
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Armand »

Promising news for those who are not fully vaccinated yet still wish to visit Tobago. Thanks Robert.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”