Is Castara Swimmable in January?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
juniormcgill
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Is Castara Swimmable in January?

Post by juniormcgill »

Thank you again for all the wonderful information everyone shares here. You are all extremely helpful. Is Castara Bay swimmable in January for snorkeling and just swimming "laps"? I've read a few trip reports that mention the ocean being rough at Castara around January/February. Again, blessings and thanks!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Is Castara Swimmable in January?

Post by PaulMakin »

Chris is up that way so hopefully he'll be along shortly with some first hand info.

Generally, dry season should see favourable conditions. However, the trade winds will be in play so perhaps some chop from time to time and swells in open waters. However, these seas can be unpredictable and pretty much all water based activity is weather dependent.

But, the bays are sheltered so you should be fine i'd think, just get beyond the breakers/surf line. Enquire locally as to any quirks to be aware of - undercurrent, rips etc. There's also the waterfall and associated pools.

Beware the occasional high tide or surge but that would apply wherever you were.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The sea as everywhere is changeable, almost by the minute. Take it day by day. The main beach in Castara has professional lifeguards on duty during the day who take their job VERY seriously and will advise you when and where to swim! They put out flags and will tell you off if you ignore their advice! The water there is great, and sometimes hard to leave but as always look out for that 7th wave…….
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The sea the last few days has been like glass, small waves and quite warm, spent a lot of time just floating about came out well wrinkled and so had a cold beer at Cascreole to rehydrate…….well that’s my story!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

I thought those wrinkles were natural. Silly me! :P
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

17th January and the sea is still ‘flat’. Really quite warm but the beer is ‘beastly’ cold!

Return to “General Questions & Comment”