Getting to dive spots

Transport-related questions and comment
Gabriel
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Getting to dive spots

Post by Gabriel »

Hi,

I am thinking of coming to Tobago this summer and would love to do some freediving and snorkelling around the island. I don't have a driving license so renting a car is unfortunately out of the question. What would be the best area to stay in so that I can get to the main diving spots easily? And do any of you have experience with TT Ride Share?

Thanks!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Getting to dive spots

Post by PaulMakin »

one for me i think.

There are very few recognised dive sites that are from the shore on tobago in the south - Store Bay and Mount Irvine Bay are the only two that are in any form of regular use. Arguably Arnos Vale Bay could be dived from the beach but this is probably not advisable for other, more security focused, reasons. There is a shallow reef that runs parallel to shore at swallows on pigeon point road but you would have to swim out and then drop over the top.

Store Bay reaches a depth of around 65 ft on the outside edge of the reef, Mt Irvine perhaps a little deeper. Arnos Vale is much shallower. Swallows has a max of around 50ft.

If youre staying in the SW (Crown Point area) you wont need a car - these are all a leisurely stroll or short taxi ride from most of the accomodation hotspots (with the exception of Arnos Vale which is probably best discounted).

Summer will see very changeable water conditions with high probability of wind, swells and reduced visibility given that all the diving is over a sandy sea bed which will be churned up by windy weather. This can take 2-3 days to setle back down.

You may well find the north (eg, Speyside) better suited to freediving but you will need to enlist a boat captain to take you over to Goat Island and Little Tobago. Many dive sites here which all tend to run a little deeper with better viz at all times of the year. Unlike the south where fringing reefs are the norm, these sites are more akin to low level sea mounts as they are underwater continuations of the bedrock of these offshore islands.

Cant comment on the opportunities for freediving on the northern caribbean side - Chris R will be much better placed to advise on the castara/parlatuvier areas. Ive only dived brothers rocks/sisters rocks and couldnt in all conscience recommend them for freediving.

However, all the usual suspects are drift dived on scuba with the boat following.

Snorkelling is commonplace - theres always something to see but our waters are not like islands further up the chain and we dont have the crystal clear, calm conditions that might be expected. We benefit from the outflow of the s. american mainland which, in wet season, will bring detritus, sargassum etc. most of this is food for our marine creatures and they do thrive on it but it means that our seas are very dynamic bodies of water and conditions can be unpredictable outside of the sheltered areas.
Gabriel
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Re: Getting to dive spots

Post by Gabriel »

Cheers Paul

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”