Money Exchange

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
rblake3168
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Money Exchange

Post by rblake3168 »

We are staying in Buccoo. Where/how is the best way to exchange US dollars to TTD's?
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Money Exchange

Post by PaulMakin »

There used to be a money exchange in the tiny mall at the airport but i dont recall seeing it open at all recently. Otherwise, it's going to be a trip to the bank or ABM.

Considering your location I'd put forward these locations as being perhaps easiest.

In the vicinity of the airport you have a Republic branch with ABM (Blue Machine). Blue Machines also at Pennysavers in Carnbee (maybe your closest) and Canaan.

There is a large/flagship Republic a little further along from Carnbee at the junction of the Auchenskeoch Buccoo Bay Road and the Highway.

ABM Servicing and refilling can be a bit random and often it'll be Monday lunctime before service is resumed if it empties at the weekend. Blue Machines used to have a little anxiety provoking quirk whereby you could ask for money and it would decline your request. I learned that this is a form of rationing related to the amount of cash it has left and multiple withdrawals could be completed as you work your way to the amount you originally requested.

Scotia bank is held in good regard by the industry and have a branch and drive through ABM at the Lowlands mall.

Historcally, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) was the preferred bank as, although there was a withdrawal fee, the enhanced exchange rate more than covered this transaction cost. They are now reduced to just an ABM in the car park at the Colosseum.

First Citizens ABM now accept foreign cards i believe but never used one.

Some establishments do accept US but this is a moveable feast. I'm meeting with some regular visitors from the US later this week - i'll enquire of them how they manage this during their stays and report back.
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Check some eating places. They may exchange for you but it will lower than the official rate which is I think around 6.7 to the US $. You might have to eat there, ask first.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

7-1 is the going rate ‘on the street’!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

I saw someone pay with US in Carnbee Pennysavers today