Just read bad review

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Kate L

Just read bad review

Post by Kate L »

Hello - I must work...however....I have been surfing and gone to Trip Advisor and read this awful review about the 'dirty pool water', and the 'dog mess', etc on the beach at Turtle Beach.

Is this just a competitor making trouble or can one of you tell me REALLY what it's like? Jon and I are planning a trip we cannot afford (!) on credit after a totally dreadful and sad year and do not want to make an expensive -for us - mistake.

Just looking for some r and r, swimming, sailing, some good food and to sleeeep, end of Nov beginning Dec 2004. What do you think? In the past we would go to The Club Med resorts in the Indian Ocean but no more.

Thanks

K
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Kate,It appears to me that many of the reviews on Trip Advisor are negative.Yes there are dogs around everywhere but they are not nasty and are not necessary feral.The beaches are on the whole as clean as any where else.Don't worry,just be prepared for a very slow,laid back and relaxing holiday.
Regards, David
p.s Have a good browse through this site,you will find the truth.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kate

David is absolutely right. To be frank, I have serious concerns about the reports on traveladvisor.com - it seems to be the home of the "grudge" poster.

Firstly, I had a tour of the Rex Turtle Beach back in February. There's no way in the world that the pool looked "dirty" - it was beautiful. What date was the post you are referring to. If before 2004, ignore it - the Rex have got the newest, largest and most interesting pool on the island since the end of last year.

Yes, there are dogs on the beach. When you have dogs you might obviously find dog dirt. I would hope and expect that the Rex Turtle Beach employ someone lo clear up the beach immediately adjacent to the hotel, but it is, after all, a public beach. I have to admit that this is not something I've ever thought about - but can honestly tell you that it's not something I've ever noticed.

All I can say is that IF these people genuinely believed these two complaints, then they should stick to a sanitised destination like one of the Disney operations because they're certainly not people to be allowed out into the "real" world.

So, relax and look forward to it - you'll have a wonderful time.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I read that, panicked, went to the Rex and thought the writer must be insane.

I hope to go back to Tobago and would not hesitate to return to the Rex (although just to make things interesting I'm also considering elsewhere!).

The staff are lovely (helps if you are friendly first, they are very busy!) the food great, the chef was a great bloke, the pool is a delight, cleaned every night (couldn't get my 8 year old of it!)... etc.

Go, and have the best time ever, I know I did and the Rex helped make it so.

(but hire a car is my only tip!).
Kate L

Thanks

Post by Kate L »

Thanks for your replies... I have now worked out how to USE the forum (!) so have seen the replies on the weather in November as well.
I just so want to get it right.

I have found a very good deal at Le Grand Courlan as well, for the same price..and after mytobago's review it seems silly not to go there....so now we decide. What do you all think?

Interesting feedback on the airline. I have been given the chance with the booking to switch to Virgin for £70 pp....extra.
I am compact but Jon is 6ft... anyone done both?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kate

Well, let's just make sure we actually help you to get it right...

With all due respect to the Rex Turtle, Le Grand Courlan is a completely different class of hotel. You've read our review, so you know our feelings. Absolutely no contest!

The seat pitch in Excel Standard Economy is a mixture of 30 inch and 31 inch, compared to all 31 inch on Virgin. It's luck of the draw really, but for an extra £70, it would be worth it to guarantee the extra legroom for Jon, in view of his height. Mind you, for an extra £60 you can ring Excel's Preflight Services and book an emergency exit row with extra legroom. Mind you, I imagine that's £60 per person, each way.
Steve Wooler
Kate L

Thanks Steve

Post by Kate L »

Thanks Steve,

This is SUCH a good site - so helpful.

I agree with you! Can I ask you all about whether you would advise us to TRY to wait to January for better weather or if you had had our year (don't ask) if you would just up and go asap?

Anyone know about sailing at Le Grand?

It will be our only holiday for 2 years and we may not get another for a while. We can only take 7 days.
Thanks
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kate

Personally, I would wait until January. The reasons are twofold:

a) The weather in Tobago will be slightly cooler and drier - therefore less humid - in January. It is currently the rainy season and while that will not ruin you holiday, you obviously want to minimise the rain.

b) More importantly. England hasn't had a great summer, but it's not terrible - at least not in comparison to what's its going to be in January. We only ever go to Tobago (or elsewhere in the tropics) during the winter months (mid-Jan to mid-March sort of time). At the start of winter we have something to look forward to. By the time we come back it's only weeks before the buds start to appear. Magic!
Steve Wooler
Kate L

Nov or January

Post by Kate L »

Thank you Steve,

I have just called the travel agent and the price difference between going end Nov/early Dec and mid January/Feb 2005 is £500 pp.

Rethink.......
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Irene »

Hi Kate, just wanted to post my opinion. First time we went to Tobago in mid-December and came back on 27th in the cold and dark of middle winter. We were depressed for ages, which wasn't helped by catching the flu which was raging at the time! Second time we went in mid-January and came back in early February. England was still cold but bright and spring flowers were in bud and the promise of summer around the corner. Perfect timing!! Steve's got it sussed, eh? Irene
Kate L

Agreed

Post by Kate L »

Hello and thanks.
I agree with you - the challenge is...money.

Having read all the advice, we have decided against The Rex and on The Grand C....But that jumps from 749 pp in early Dec to 1115 pp in Jan and we just can't spend that much....

If we stay at Grafton it is 850 pp...so that is an option, but the reviews seemed VERY mixed.

Any one have an opinion on RCS in early Dec versus The Grafton end Jan? Thanks

Kate
Richard

Post by Richard »

we've been to the rex 3 times and met one lady there on her 28th visit so it must be doing something right.

Basically Rex is part of the Motorlodge company and so it may be a little formulaic. However all the rooms are sea view so no supplement for that. At the far end away from the main hotel bit they are almost right on the beach, just a small strip of garden and you are there.

The beach is sandy as is the water bottom so though snorkling is out its great for swimming although the way the waves break can make getting in and out fun.

The new pool is constant depth (too shallow for me) but large and interesting with a "spa" in the middle on a little island.

The staff for the most part are great and friendly, especially if you make the effort. The gardens were stunning but in Jan this year was just when the pool had been completed and had not recovered from the work (also the gardener had been off after the loss of his wife at the same time). If you can go on a tour with him it's worth it.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

As posted elsewhere, turn left, walk to the pink house - well decent snorkelling to be had there.

Not worth a visit alone, as it's deep - ie the fish not near you - but you don't have to go far out. It's a shelf along the beach IYSWIM.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Kate,I stayed at the Grafton last Nov/Dec/(03) and trhouroughly enjoyed it.It is alot more "central"to restaurants,bars shops etc,and if you get to know Philbert Cunningham,the operations manager he can take you to some good night spots.Anyhow,don't just think about it DO IT you will love it!
Regards,David(89 days to go :D :D :D )
Dave Guest

Post by Dave Guest »

Just a quick reply to add to your dilema kate :) Here's part of the pool and the pool bar at the Rex Turtle Beach. Taken in May this year when it was fairly busy at the hotel. To me it looked clean enough to wash in :)

Kate L

Thanks

Post by Kate L »

Thank you for all your feedback. Much appreciated. Circumctances seem to be working against us at the moment as my employers went bust two weeks ago ...what a year... so unless we max the cc, I may have to live this dream through the site for a while longer.

Kate

Return to “Starfish Tobago”