Beach chairs

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
CarolAnn
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Beach chairs

Post by CarolAnn »

Can anyone please tell me where I could purchase a couple of beach chairs/beds. We are there for five weeks, I'm getting older!! and cannot get up & down from the beach!! On last visit only 2/3 beaches actually supplied them.
Renting would be better, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of that.
many thanks... :D
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Beach chairs

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm ... I am trying to think of a beach where they don't supply sun beds ... even the remote Pirates Bay and Englishmans beaches supply them ... which beach are you proposing to grace?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello CarolAnn

Welcome aboard! :)

Paul is right - most of the popular beaches have beach chair rental facilities. However, the quality of the chairs does vary considerably and there are certainly no such facilities at the smaller, more isolated beaches.

One possibility that I can highly recommend is the Kelsyus Recline Backpack Beach Chair. They are available on Amazon and elsewhere. At around £45, they are far from cheap, but these chairs are actually really comfortable and being covered in a mesh material, stay cool. They are very light to carry around. The only problem is that they are relatively bulky and whilst they are easy to carry around on you back, as advertised, that doesn't help from the point of view of travelling out there, given the airline restrictions of only one item of hand luggage per person. Still, I would say they are worth an extra suitcase in terms of the comfort and convenience they offer. Kelsyus (www.kelsyus.com) do various models, including some with a canopy top. The one we bought and use is the "Recline Backpack Chair" which, as the name suggest, semi-reclines so you are more reclining that sitting. None of these are for the fuller figure though!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
CarolAnn
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by CarolAnn »

fao Mr P.Tallet.
Thank you for your remarks...I asked a question I did not want a smart alex reply.
Reagrding buying a chair and taking with us, I would first have to take it to the UK, that is after having it sent to me in Spain, so not really cost effective, but thanks anyway.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello CarolAnn

I am sure you misinterpret Paul's comments. :roll:
Steve Wooler
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Carol-Ann,

you may check Stumpy's hardware in Canaan.
If they don't have... i remember buying beach chairs some years ago in a furniture store in Milford Road in
Scarborough. Can't remember the name of the store though ... it is next to where the old gas station was
demolished last year. If you ask a local, they can tell you where that is.
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi CarolAnn,
Perfectly understand your problem; what a pain when you get to a nice quiet beach and the only place to sit is on the ground. I too, don't bend as well as I use to!
Had been thinking over suggestions to offer; Andy beat me to the suggestion of Stumpy's. Stumpy did have some folding chairs a while back ...I'm not sure the usual molded lawn chairs or beach beds would fit in a rental unless they can fold.
The other store Andy mentioned.....I guess would be the America Store. I think there is also another furniture store nearby (the name escapes me). There is also a new furniture store across from the Pennysaver....have not been in to explore. Maybe you could discuss a long term rental of a bed from one of the beach chair vendors; but not sure they would
agree with you removing to another beach and would it fit in your rental.
I wish you luck; we have looked for some light weight traveling beach chairs for a number of years. There is a real lack of reasonably priced beach chairs to buy; much less rent. Most places are selling patio sets. Sounds like a business opportunity; I would love to be able to rent something for a month or so.
Cheers,
Carol
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

I know that some, but not all, sunchair rentals at Store Bay Beach use to give a redused price if you rent and pay for all days at once.
A guy who use to be on the right hand side has for sure done that, I know that because I met a Canadian man last winter who rented from him during his stay. But I don´t know if he rented and payed for the chair per week or for his whole stay.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

There is a furniture shop behind KFC called Singers they used to sell beach furniture and another one in the little shopping area opposite the esplanade next to the Docksite Bar.
David :D
CarolAnn
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by CarolAnn »

Thank you for help & advise.will try both shops.

Adios....
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

What did I say ?!?

I was searching for answers and could not think of a beach without sunbeds ... and there are so many other people also offering advice to you CarolAnn ... this is a helpful website for people visiting Tobago ... half of the queries on here are answered graciously by other forum members even though there is information in the general site.

I wouldn't have thought of you buying sunbeds as others have suggested because you have already indicated that you struggle to get up and down to a beach so the last thing I would have suggested is that you buy them to carry with you ... you have still not mentioned the beach you use so I can't say if you can rent them there or not can I?

I do apologise if you found my response cocky but that's just the way I am ... ask clear questions and you will get a straight answer.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Paul,
I didn't find your answer cocky; I guess sometimes comments online are misinterpreted. Anyway to answer your question, beaches without rentals....at least the ones we go to (info as of March 2012)
Parlatuvier, Bloody Bay, Kings Bay, Richmond, C'ville, Speyside (that doesn't really count; go there to visit a friend).
Cheers, Carol
Helen
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Helen »

Hi,
I am looking for a beach where they don't have beach chairs so I have to buy one of my own. Which beach chair is the best for you? If you know of any such beach, please let me know.
Thank you.
Dining Chair Buy Online in Australia @ 51% OFF Wholesale Prices.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Helen

Welcome aboard! :D

I'm not 100% sure that I understand your question fully. The bottom line is that you can bring your own beach chair to any beach on Tobago. In fact, there are very few beaches where you can hire chairs, so having your own chair is always a good idea.
Steve Wooler
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

It may be the ‘dream’ but do NOT place your chair or towel ( hopefully not brought down from your accommodation!) beneath a coconut tree! Trees shed their leaves all year, always seems to be autumn, and the ones from the palms do not float gently down ! They are big, more than 6feet and weigh a lot ! They will hurt and you and your pride so resist the temptation please!
Ditto the nuts!
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

PS. Dawn at one end and Ancle at Naturalist rent them on the main bay in Castara as does AliBaba on the Little Bay.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”