Batteaux Bay

What to see, what to do, where to go
Daniel

Batteaux Bay

Post by Daniel »

Hi everybody,

Is Batteaux Bay a public beach or is it entirely owned by the Blue Waters Inn hotel? Could I visit the beach and spend time on it even if I'm not a guest there?

Thanks!

Daniel Gamboa
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Batteaux Bay

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Daniel

By law, there are no private beaches on Tobago. Having said that, you cannot cross private land to access a public beach without the owner's permission. So, technically, you would be welcome to use the Batteaux Bay beach if you came in by boat, but if you came by road using the driveway down into the Blue Waters Inn hotel, then they would have every right to refuse you access and/or make a charge for using their drive and parking on their land.

To be honest, I can't tell you what the current stance of the hotel is. The hotel is owned by a very strange Trinidadian family who treat the resort as a private holiday home and appear to have no regard - even contempt - for public opinion. It is a very similar situation to Tobago's other tragic lost opportunity, the Arnos Vale Hotel. Although I have heard positive reports about the current manager, I have no idea what the hotel's stance is to visitors who want to use the beach.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you, Steve. I was also wondering about Arnos Vale, so you also made that clear for me.

Daniel
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Daniel

If you mean the Bay behind the hotel area, than you can visit the beach as it´s not own by the hotel as Steve point out.

I havn´t been there myself for some years, but it might have changed now as there´s new owners. You might even be able to walk down beside the hotel area, in the same way as peoples use to do at the Arnos Vale Hotel to reach the bay there.
Try and you will know!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Unlike Arnos Vale, the Hotel is always welcoming and I enjoy having a cool drink in the Shipwreck Bar that overlooks the beach ... the jetty on the beach is a common pick-up point for those taking boat trips to Goat and Little Tobago Islands when the seas are choppy.

There is also some fine snorkelling if you can swim 100 yards off the beach to the right and it is even possible to rent a canoe and beach chairs if you ask.

I have never been refused access and I sense that if you have a drink and/or make use of their services you will always be welcome in the Hotel grounds.

It's a very nice place but I have no idea of how nice it is to stay at the Hotel apart from the obvious that any rooms overlooking the beach will have beautiful views.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you, Ronald and Paul. I am going to Tobago for a second time this coming Easter and I am looking forward to visiting a couple of new beaches.

Daniel

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”