Is Eula's restaurant on Englishmen bay dangerous

Your questions on medical and security issues
Lida Walsh
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Is Eula's restaurant on Englishmen bay dangerous

Post by Lida Walsh »

I read reviews about Eula's Restaurant here and being recommended as to avoid. I went there last year and did enjoy the food and the bay... so I have a question ... is it still really a dangerous, unhygienic place we should avoid? thank you.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Is Eula's restaurant on Englishmen bay is dangerous

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Lisa

Welcome aboard!

Eula's Restaurant is a shanty illegally built on the beach. The land is owned by the local government. They served an eviction notice on the restaurant some years back, but it was never enforced for reasons that defy logic.

I believe that there is no mains electricity to the restaurant and, more importantly, no mains water or sewage lines. So, I leave you to decide whether the food hygiene standards are likely to be acceptable or not.

A major concern is the alleged criminal activities of some members of the family associated with the place. For legal reasons, I prefer not to publish everything I know. Let me just say that extreme caution is advised, particularly when speaking to any locals on or near the beach. Under no circumstances mention where you are staying and take care when leaving to ensure that you are not followed.

Frankly, I would enjoy the sight of Englishman's Bay from the 'lookout' viewpoint on the road from Castara and then bypass it as quickly as possible. Why risk your holiday - it really isn't worth it. It is such a crying shame and one of the most depressing aspects of Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lida Walsh
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Re: Is Eula's restaurant on Englishmen bay is dangerous

Post by Lida Walsh »

Steve, thank you very much for your prompt advice. What a shame, such a nice place.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Is Eula's restaurant on Englishmen bay dangerous

Post by Paul Tallet »

There are a few queries about Englishman's right now.

So lets put the record straight.

Yes ... there have been robberies. Yes ... the owner of the restaurant is a suspect and I know who prepares and supplies the food (it is quite good) but the restaurant owner does not prepare the food, so think about how long it has been prepped, is it fit for consumption?

Englishman's Bay is a beautiful bay, probably one of the most beautiful places in the world.

What you also need to know is that it is quite remote. As a consequence, you could be there on your own.

So, visitors to Englishman's should observe the following precautions:-

1. If you are on your own, you and your property are at risk.
2. If the Bay has many visitors it is safer ... but take care that your car is secure because you cannot see it from the beach.
3. Swimmers should enter the sea at the north end of the beach ... it has a gentle slope ... everywhere else is dangerous as the waves are strong and there is a steep drop and you may not get back out of the sea.
4. Next to the Cafe is a beautiful Machineel Tree, it is signposted because it is poisonous and you should not stand under it when it rains otherwise you could suffer severe burns.
5. Try to resist buying anything from the stalls. No matter how good it looks ... you will be supporting the crime.

Just take reasonable precautions. Englishman's Bay is getting rather a lot of grief because it is such a beautiful place and many people want to go there. There are other places where precautions should be taken such as Arnos Vale, King Peter's Bay, Buccoo Beach and many more ...

... wherever you go, if you go alone, there will always be a pair (or more) of eyes watching you and assessing your wealth and vulnerability.

It's no different to any other place.

Be sensible, look skint and you will have a wonderful holiday.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Good advice Paul.

Hard as I try I can't help but look like a "rich" tourist.

Maybe it would help if I left the $$$$$$'s of camera gear at home . . . . . . . . . :oops:

Hugh 8)
TonyG
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by TonyG »

Steve / Paul.
I am quite sad about your warnings regarding Englishmans bay but not supprised.
My wife and I got married at Englishmans bay back in 2008, and still dream of it but like you often state, if you take the precautions that you take at home, you are perfectly safe, if you eat a Kebab at home you would not be supprised if you are bad next day, so do not expect anything else on holiday.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

If safety is a concern I guess you best visit Englishman's Bay on a cruiseship day. You are definitely not going to be alone.....

Return to “Health & Security”