Brilliant news, of course. :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: BA Add Extra Flight

Post by Paul Tallet »

Interesting.

Glyn clarifies in another post that Virgin pulled out because Tobago did not meet their demands to improve the airport ... possibly turn Tobago into a Theme Park etc etc.

BA are just carrying on and adapting to tourist demand. OK, you may not always get a direct flight to Tobago but I would rather deal with that than no flights at all.

I feel OK about this.

The cheaper flight operator, Monarch, should not be excluded from credit in supporting Tobago tourism.

Without BA and Monarch and their supporting business interests around the Caribbean it would be very hard for UK citizens to visit Tobago all year round.

We should try to give these 2 operators our support ... in my opinion.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Beside Virgins complaining about the "poor airport" which I feel is wrong, than there might also be an other thing, the cost per passenger.

Virgin are still using 747 for many flights around the Caribbean, and these 747 are old now. They demand much more fuel compared with newer ones, it simply start cost too much per passenger, 747 is no longer the best choice for long distance flights.
In Japan they will let their 747 stay on ground and instead use the more modern ones and let less fuel demanding aircraft take over.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Great news indeed.
Ronald

The 747s were replaced by A330s on most Caribbean routes. They only fly to Cuba and Jamaica these days.

Rob
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Good to hear that the old 747s are grounded almost all over.

About the ANR Airport, I´d read today that the drawings and planning for the New Terminal Buildings are done! But of course they did not say when the work will start and how the work will affect the present terminals!
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Those beautiful 747s still fly to Cancun, the US and other destinations. I guess Virgin really takes good care of them. We flew on them 16 times without a single problem. I truly love those iconic planes. Bear in mind regarding the age of the planes BA and Monarch use pretty aging B777s and A330s on route to Tobago. They are all over 15 years old.

Rob
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Extra flights are good news, I suspect BA and Golden Caribbean may be anticipating rising demand , fuelled both by the UK recovery and the drop in Air Passenger Duties to the region, making flights cheaper. Let us hope the passengers get a decent reception!

I doubt the new terminal will be built, although it is possible the central government may do a big splash on it and turn the first sod just before the next election, announcing zillions of new jobs etc (then nothing happening thereafter!). But I am just a sad old cynic :)
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

http://www.thetobagonews.com/news/Monar ... 76851.html

The above mentioned aging planes. Heard too many horror stories about Monarch flights.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”