Bus tips to Castara from Airport

Transport-related questions and comment
Kerita11
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Bus tips to Castara from Airport

Post by Kerita11 »

Hello,

I will be flying to Tobago from Guyana by myself and staying in Castara. The hotel offers airport pick-up, but at $40 USD I'd prefer to investigate other, cheaper options. Is there bus service from the airport in Tobago or do I have to get to Scarborough first? And if I do need to get to the bus station in Scarborough, what's the easiest way to do so? Similarly, can I buy a ticket for the bus in the airport? Does the bus charge extra for a luggage bag? From researching online it looks like there might be a bus that leaves at 5pm and of course I wouldn't expect it to leave on time.

If you wouldn't recommend traveling by bus, do you have another suggestion for how to get up there on a Friday afternoon? I won't be renting a car, but if a taxi would be cheaper than $40 USD (and I'm not going to be hassled too much) I'd consider that too.

Thank you for your help,
Kerita
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Bus tips to Castara from Airport

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Kerita

A very special welcome aboard to our first forum member from Guyana - well, second, given that that was where I grew up and where my love of Tobago originated from. :D

US$40 for a transfer from the airport to Castara seems reasonable, although I'm a little concerned by your mention of "hotel". There are no hotels in Castara and I would hate for you to think that you are going somewhere with hotel-like facilities.

There are no direct buses from the airport to Castara (as far as I know). There are regular services between the airport and Scarborough bus terminal though and a fairly frequent service from Scarborough to Castara. It will be a LOT cheaper than the US$40, but will take 4-5 times as long; i.e. a 45-minute hassle-free journey will probably take up to 3 hours total time.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kerita11
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Kerita11 »

Thank you, Steve for your informative response. The whole forum has me really excited for my visit!

And rather than hotel, I guess I could have said The Naturalist Beach Resort in Castara.
Nicole
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nicole »

Dear Kerita,

if I were you, I would rent a car. Reasons: You can not go to Castara by bus. Even if there should be a bus, you could never rely on it. So you need to spend that 40 USD. But instead of getting a transfer you could do it on you own for the same (or nearly same) price with a cheap rental car. Than you can enjoy the trip more and stop at any point you like (not to many - you have to get to Castara!). Invest 40 Dollars more and keep the car one more day to explore the island! You wont regret it.

Enjoy your trip!
Nic
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Ancle the owner of Naturalist also does car hire!
You could also arrange with Taylor's Car Rental , also in Castara , to pick up a hire car at the airport.
The taxi rate to Castara is set by the taxi association.
Ancle's $US40 / $240TT is slightly less than their rate.
Use the bus for a trip to town while you are in Castara but be prepared to wait. You will meet some interesting people along the way........
Kerita11
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Kerita11 »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to go with Ancle's rate since it did appear to be cheaper. We will be renting cars once we're there.

Thank you again - you all have been so helpful!
Kera

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”