Castara

Your questions on medical and security issues
SQuicker
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Castara

Post by SQuicker »

Hi

We're staying for a week at Castara Retreats soon and my wife is getting worried as to how safe Castara actually is. My view, formed from reading experiences online over the last 3 months, is that Castara is a relatively safe place. When I say relatively safe, I mean I'd apply the standard precautions I'd apply at any city in the world (even my home city of London) and I would not be at risk. i.e. don't flaunt obvious valuable items, don't walk around non-compus mentus, be generally aware of one's surroundings.

What is the view the board please?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Castara

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello

Welcome aboard! :D

Don't pack those concerns - you won't be needing them. :)

I admit that one needs to be observant and take care in the more developed region of Tobago, near the airport, but Castara is a different world, and long may it continue so. The worst you find in Castara is petty theft (including burglary). However, I've never heard of any incidents that included threats or violence. In fact most of the 'crime' in the village over the past 10 years has been perpetrated by the same twin brothers, and they are gladly 'out of operation' at the moment.

I returned from Tobago just 5 days ago. We spent two weeks in Castara and immediate area. One was literally a stone's throw away from Castara Retreats. All I can really tell you is that neither I nor Jill, my wife, had the slightest concern about walking about the village, day or night. Jill would regularly walk down to the beach on her own. She has done this for many years and, frankly, the day we no longer able to feel safe doing this will be the day that this website starts advising traveller not to visit Tobago and starts recommending alternative destinations.

So, pack those concerns away and fear not.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
SQuicker
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by SQuicker »

Ok, thanks for the input
TonyG
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by TonyG »

Hi, no doubt you have been now and I hope you enjoyed your holiday.
My wife and I can say that I feel like Castara is the safest place I have ever been, ( and as a Geordie I can say that I once visited Sunderland, Scary ).
On our first day an evil looking man walked towards us with a big machete, I looked and thought this will hurt, he was employed by the council to cut the grass and had a great smile, we bought him a drink later and he regaled us with tales, we visited a supermarket some miles away, while the wife was inside a man sidled up and tried to sell me some grass and asked where we were staying, when I mentioned Castara, he went white, muttered something about Rasta Town, and ran away, is paradise on earth, but dont spread the word.

Return to “Health & Security”