beware of falling coconuts

Your questions on medical and security issues
Jorg
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

beware of falling coconuts

Post by Jorg »

I read so much about crime. But are there any warnings concerning falling coconuts published as yet?

Yes, compared to countries like Sweden, Iceland or Austria, a tourist has a bigger "chance" in Tobago to become a victim of violent crime. Of course you can become a victim of crime in any country. You can get wet by rain in each country as well. However, there might be a bigger chance to get wet by rain in London than in LA. I just found a scientific study measuring peace, prosperity, violence and crime in different countries. "The Global Peace Index measures the state of peace in 162 countries according to 23 indicators that gauge the absence of violence or the fear of violence. It is produced annually by the Institute for Economics and Peace." - http://www.visionofhumanity.org/#/page/our-gpi-findings

While Iceland is considered as the most peaceful nation of the world, followed by Denmark and Austria, Trinidad and Tobago did not gain a top 10 position. Considering the indicators murder and violent crime in the said study, Trinidad and Tobago has space to improve. What may this mean for visitors? If somebody is used to travel to Iceland and Austria, it may be recommended to check certain tips in regards of safety. If confronted with someone having a weapon, it might be better not to fight him - better give him what he wants. This is what experts (crime fighters) say. Bandits are not worth it to hurt a little finger while punching them.

But the bigger risks may still be on the road. Beware of crazy drivers who speed under the influence of certain substances. Beware of falling coconuts! Do not sunbath under a coconut tree! Worldwide there are more people getting killed from coconuts than from sharks.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: beware of falling coconuts

Post by Ronald »

Very nice to read this, and you correct in what you say "If confronted with someone having a weapon, it might be better not to fight him - better give him what he wants". Even a cutlass can destroy your life forever, and all visitors does have an insurance (at least hope so) so in real they doesn´t loose anything.

If you have been travelling a lot, you might be able to confront someone who make problems on, as an example, on the beach, by trying to remove you from your place or similars. They might use loud talks, but it mostly is just talk, but still you have to be careful and know what/how to do.
And if you are "hit" by someone who shout "I´ll find some to kill you, you are old so I don´t want to fight you myself", did happen me some years ago, make a report to tha police at once. Don´t ignore that, its always better to be the one who make the first report!

Return to “Health & Security”