Cuffie River Retreat

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
shawnsadj
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Cuffie River Retreat

Post by shawnsadj »

Steve,

I read your rave reviews on the site. Has anybody been here lately?

My wife and I our coming to Tobago for an anniversary weekend (3nights) and want to get the most of our trip food wise.

Has anyone eaten at Gail's in Charlottesville the past few years?

Best places near Parlatuvier/Castara for a local meal?

Thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Cuffie River Retreat

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Shawn

Welcome aboard! :D

I still maintain that the Cuffie River Nature Retreat offers the best Caribbean cuisine that I have ever tasted. I haven't been there since early last year, but I'm in regular contact with owner and chef, Regina, and I know that nothing has changed. I would never describe her cooking as 'local' - I think her catering is influenced by her wide travel throughout the Caribbean and Central American area.

Can't comment on Gail's in Charlotteville as I haven't stayed or dined up there in some years.

Best local food in Castara is undoubtedly Marguarite's. The Sunshine Restaurant in Bloody Bay is also worth a try, when it's open. I had the most delicious Crayfish dish I've ever had there a few years back.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

Didn't get to Gails this year but last year had two excellent meals there - one lunch and one dinner and also good food there the year before. Very local, and good value though limited choice as you might expect. Brilliant spicy vegetable soup and fresh fish.

Julian
SueShard
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by SueShard »

We had the best lunch ever on the Island at Cuffie River. We rang to book the day before and the lady asked what we would like to eat. As we are not fussy I said anything, she then phoned back to ask if we all liked shrimp. We started with very tasty soup and then shrimp in a delicious sauce with four other vegetable dishes, ending with coconut ice cream, whilst enjoying watching the birds. Not the cheapest place but well worth it, we will go back.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”