Parlatuvier, Christmas 2015 + Pictures

Your questions on medical and security issues
OrlandoFato
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Parlatuvier, Christmas 2015 + Pictures

Post by OrlandoFato »

Hi everyone,

My friend and I will be traveling to Tobago this Christmas for the third time (our last visit was at Easter 2013). We are somewhat concerned about safety due to the recent news we've been reading about crime against tourists. We'll be staying in Parlatuvier. While Parlatuvier and Englishman's Bay are rather lonely, we never felt threatened either in 2012 or in 2013, but should we be more concerned now in 2015?

We're the walking/hitchhiking everywhere type, and now we are wondering whether or not we should change plans completely and travel somewhere else. We actually have tickets for Port of Spain, and once there, we're buying tickets to stay in Tobago for a week.

We've been to Castara but, except for the beach, we are not fond of the town per se. Parlatuvier is our favorite town and Englishman's Bay is our favorite beach, but should we approach these places with a different point of view?

Thank you,

PS: here are some pictures of Tobago I took on both my 2012 and 2013 trips.
https://www.facebook.com/orlandofato197 ... 150&type=3

Orlando Fato
Last edited by OrlandoFato on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Parlatuvier, Christmas 2015

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Orlando

Welcome aboard! :D

Questions like this are always so difficult to answer accurately because 'safety' is often about perception. If you feel safe, and have observed all normal precautions regarding security and valuable, then you probably will be safe. However, what's the point of going on holiday to a place if you know that you will be unsettled, feel uncomfortable and be constantly looking over your shoulder.

I assume that you have read and/or are aware of the warning regarding the family who operate the business on Englishman's Bay. That family are alleged to be responsible for the vast majority of petty pilfering and burglary that goes on along that coast. Fortunately, violence has never been used or threatened (as far as I am aware). So, that would be my only caveat - don't get over-familiar with anyone related or associated with that family and under NO circumstances let them know where you are staying.

Parlatuvier is a world away from the more populated south-west of the island where all the incidents you refer to have taken place. I obviously can't tell you that you will be safe if you go there - just as I couldn't if you said you were going anywhere else. However, you ask if you should you be more concerned than in 2013. I can answer that with a categoric NO - I see no reason to be any more concerned now in that area of the island than two years ago. We spent a week there earlier this year and will have another week in that immediate area this coming trip - and are looking forward to it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I cautiously agree with Steve.

The really bad murders seem to have been carried out on foreigners that live in Tobago, mostly towards the west of the Island and they have occurred about once a year for the last several years ... so no difference to 2013.

The worst that tourists can expect in the remoter parts of Tobago is an insistent proposal for a guided tour around the rainforest or a very annoying local engaging you in conversation before he asks for money. I am not aware of any violence to tourists ... there has been the occasional theft, but nothing that makes Tobago any more risky than other tourist destinations.

They say knowledge is 'power' but having too much knowledge about your holiday destination can lead to the wrong perceptions as much as having little knowledge ... funny old world we live in ...

Go with your own senses.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

I totally agree with Steve and our famous Mr Weather man about what they say. I don´t stay in the north, I stay in the south. But I have been in T&T every year since 1989, in Tobago since 1992. Sure I have met some of these guys even in the south as I´m walking around a lot in the country side. But 99% of all Tobagonians ar very good persons.

These bad guys are not regukarry targetting visitors as they mostly do not carry a lot of cash with them any more, thank´s for the ATM. So normal commons sence as everyone should do, never mind what country we are talking about.
But I´ve seen(met men who do as they use to do at home, with bad result. He had a big wallet with borth European currency and USD, TTD, all his ID-cards, passports and so on. Of course they did steel his wallet one day as he often was in local girls company, these girl swho just love a silly visitors with a lot of money but much fewer working brain cells.

Some show a wallet with a lot of money, or, as I´ve seen some US do, pick up a BIG roll of money and asking "how much does´t cost". Myself have my money in my pockets, but separated into 3 different pockets, small money, medium and 100 TTD.

It´s also so that many visitors are too polite, afraid to tell them some hard words if needed. Some of these "sellers" doesn´t understand a nice "no thanks"!

So, Go with your own senses as they say.
OrlandoFato
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by OrlandoFato »

Thank you, Steve, Paul and Ronald.

Being so close to Parlatuvier, Englishman's Bay is the beach we've been to and like the most. Before the restaurant starts working, it does feel quite lonely, but once it opens it feels safe. It's ironic how now I am learning that the people operating the restaurant are suspected to be responsible for the robberies there. We will definitely take this into account.

Parlatuvier does feel like a world apart from everything else in Tobago; even more isolated than Charlotteville. I guess it's because it is just a few houses scattered around the bay. We will take the precautions given about not being specific about where we will be staying or our itineraries.

We're both looking forward to this, our third trip to Tobago.

Best regards from Venezuela,

Orlando Fato
Dalseg
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Re: Parlatuvier, Christmas 2015 + Pictures

Post by Dalseg »

Hi, I've been going to Tobago for over 25 years-this year 4 times and stayed in Parlatuvier at Sea Shells. I love Parlatuvier and have many friends there - hang out on the jetty in the evening its a blast! I have stayed in Castara as well at Seascape. I have never experienced crime in my years in Tobago-I have travelled all over and as long as you use common sense you're fine. In fact I feel more relaxed and safe in Tobago than most places. As for the comments about Englishmen's Bay, I have also never had trouble, and have had nothing but great food at Eula's. In fact I am sorry to hear any association with thievery because to my knowledge the thieves are two young men from Castara.
Steve Wooler

Re: Parlatuvier, Christmas 2015 + Pictures

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Dalseg

You are spot on: as long as you use common sense, you're fine. The trouble is that so many people relax too much and feel so safe that common sense can sometimes get drowned in the rum punches.

As regards Eula and family, I'm afraid the evidence is without question. Perhaps the police and the courts who convicted them were all mistaken. Perhaps the Eula-twin who was found unconscious and badly injured on the rocks last Christmas was misidentified. Disturbed by a guest whilst halfway through a bathroom window, he jumped or fell off the balcony some 20-30ft onto the rocks on Castara's main beach. He was very badly injured and, in truth, I think probably learned a hard lesson (general consensus seems to be disappointment that he didn't fall head first). Yes, you are quite correct - the thieves are two young men from Castara. Eula and her rotten family live in Castara (first house on the left as your enter the village from the northern (Parlatuvier) end. :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Health & Security”