Peter Cox still doing tours?

What to see, what to do, where to go
Josie
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Peter Cox still doing tours?

Post by Josie »

Hi all! First, I just want to say how great this site is; it's an excellent resource.

Does anyone know if Peter Cox is still doing tours? I'm visiting in July with a couple friends, all of us are biologists by trade, and we were looking forward to booking a day tour with Peter. When I was researching tours a couple weeks ago there was a great review on here, but now I cannot find it. His personal website also seems to be down but was working not long ago. Anybody know what's up? As a bird person, I'm perfectly happy to book with Newton George, but my frog and insect buddies are not as thrilled about a bird-intensive day. Thanks for any info!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Peter Cox still doing tours?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Josie

Welcome aboard! :)

I have just (last weekend) returned from six fabulous weeks on Tobago. Peter has been 'reviewing' his guiding services for a couple of years. I met him two weeks ago and he told me that it was pretty certain that he would be ending his guiding services as he is now heavily involved in agricultural consultancy. He sent me the final confirmation at the end of last week. I know how many people enjoyed their trips with Peter, so he will be missed.

The go-to guide for serious bird watchers on Tobago is still Newton George - by a considerable mile. Mind you, his services are so much in demand that you do have to get in early.

However, the field for natural history tours is much more open. In view of your question, it would be appropriate for me to give special mention to someone I have corresponded with for some years, but only met for the first time this trip. He is Jason Radix. A Trinidadian by birth, Jason had some years of experience as a guide at the Asa Wright Nature Centre in Trinidad. He then moved into hotel management and was General Manager at the Blue Waters Inn in Tobago for some years. He is now trading as Eureka Natural History Tours (see the Region 2 listing of our Tour Guide listing). Jason is a considerable cut above most of the established guides on Tobago. I didn't get the opportunity to go out with Jason, but was impressed by his professional manner and his clear communication skills, which are possibly unrivaled amongst the Tobago tour guide fraternity. We met him at the Cuffie River Nature Retreat whilst he was providing services to two groups of guests there over two days. They were highly complimentary. Well worth a try.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Josie
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Re: Peter Cox still doing tours?

Post by Josie »

Thanks for the response! Jason Radix looks like an excellent recommendation for our group. I think we will try to book with him. Looking forward to it!

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”