Already planning our NEXT visit...

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Already planning our NEXT visit...

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

So, compared to some in this forum, we are relative novices to the island, but having visited in 2009, 2012, 2014 and 2017, we are rapidly becoming regulars, and certainly feels like a homecoming every time I set foot on the ANR Robinson tarmac. Having cultivated relationships with Colin Sheppy, Regina Dumas (at Cuffie), Mervyn Sifontes (Villa De Lena) and Giselle Beaubrum (Shore Things) over the years, it sure feels nice to touch base every few years, so to speak.

Thanks to all the helpful voices, tipsters and personalities in this forum.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Already planning our NEXT visit...

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Trip #5: March 2018 is all booked. Fifth time staying at Villa De Lena in Bon Accord.

Any major changes to the Island expected? How's that SANDALS Scandal coming along?
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We travel tomorrow night.

Question Will the 'Retail Protest' (?) or Crownpoint Airport repaving have any consequence on our trip?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kurt

Sorry, I may have missed something, but there's no 'protests' that I'm aware of in Tobago, nor is there any sign of repaving at the airport. I believe they are, or are intending to, do repaving at Piarco airport, in Trinidad, but I have no personal knowledge of the situation over there.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Steve &Kurt,
Kurt was probably referring to the article in T&T papers yesterday.
See http://newsday.co.tt/2018/03/06/duke-ba ... -shutdown/
for the most recent article. I, too have not heard anything about repaving. Hope to finally be down in April....yeah!!
Cheers, Carol
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

motion was proposed and seconded but no dates/details as yet and it's not clear how far reaching any "shut-it-down" will be. it was a well attended meeting but couldn't really be deemed a representative sample of the tobago business community.
however, this weekend i will be mostly panic buying stag !!!!!!

tobago seems to be lower down on the sandals list of things to do at the moment. reportedly switched their attentions to expanding on barbados and clearing up after hurricane damages further north. rowley has voiced that tobago, having been 2nd choice, has slipped to 5th. sandals CEO didn't make the meeting to sign the memorandum of understanding. sandals have publicly stated that they are concentrating on destinations where there is a "more friendly" attitude (i read that between the lines as meaning a more friendly business/operating environment)

paul
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

Welcome back on-board. :D

I think that your reading of the Sandals situation is spot on, Paul. The fact that neither 'Butch' or Adam Stewart were present for the signing is highly significant, if not a direct insult. The Stewarts are hugely savvy and have more tourism nouse than the combined knowledge and experience of both T&T tourism departments. Dealing with either, much less both, must have given them SERIOUS doubts about the chances of any success here. I now put the chances of Sandals ever completing here at less 20%. Not sure how I feel about that at the moment - we sore need the airlift it would have given the island. Still, every cloud has a silver lining I guess.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

thanks steve - as you can probably tell, i lost my log-in again !!

paul
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

i guess you're already arrived so no impact for you but i just read that the airport will be operating limited hours for a number of weeks - closing from 22.00 until 06.00. no confirmed dates, just a rather vague "march to may"

this could have implications for those arriving to piarco later in the day

paul
DaveSherry
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by DaveSherry »

You are right Paul. The runway is undergoing repairs and the airport is closed from 8pm to 6am until April 15th (subject to change at any time of course-)). The group of business people that met recently and suggested a 2 day shut down have gone quiet and probably realise there is no great support from the general population for their proposals, Tobago has been suffering enough in the past 12 months. In relation to Sandals, i still believe it will happen. There has been works carried out on Golden Grove road over the past couple of months (Road was closed last week) around the area where it is believed the entrance is to be. No one is saying anything but the suspicion is that it is to facilitate the development. Watch this space!!.
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Back from the island. As amazing as ever with no hang-ups. I have noticed there have been enough road improvements over the years that I can almost go around the island (especially on the windward road) at 50km/hr. This is a big improvement even from 2014 (and definitely from 2009) when speeds of 30km/hr were more realistic.

I didn't see any work going on the runway, but we got in and out of both CrownPoint and POS with no difficulties, in fact it was smoother and more pleasurable than previous runs!

There was WATER-MAIN work going on Golden Grove road last week, and while I was always going back and forth on Shirvan Rd., I wasn't brave enough to try to take the GoldenGrove back-roads in light of this work, so I could not bear witness to whatever was happening. (Agreed: This could be upgrading for possible future development.)

Beer and fish prices have definitely gone up. (Stag is now $10 at cheap bars, and $12-15 at more remote or fancy places.) The hurting Canadian Dollar further exacerbates the cost to me. We drink a lot of Stag when we are down there, and try to buy it by the case from PennySavers, sure to get our TT$9 returned each time.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”