March Restaurant Reviews

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

March Restaurant Reviews

Post by Sharon Keeler »

Just returned for my 17th trip to Tobago and I have to post that the restaurant experience was the best yet. Over two weeks did not have a bad meal anywhere, service was good to excellent, and price point was spot on (by U.S. standards).

The details:

R&C Taste of the Caribbean
We stay at Sandy Point Beach Club so this is the perfect spot for a meal. This restaurant has changed hands several times over the years, and happy to report that the current owners are excellent. We ate here three times -- dinner, lunch and breakfast. For dinner we had curried coconut shrimp and BBQ chicken, both with excellent sides of macaroni pie, rice and beans and salad. Lunch was burgers presented on a beautiful plate with wedges and fried plantains. We popped in for breakfast and the chef cooked to order. I had delicious pancakes and the most tasty sausages and chutney. The setting is beautiful and the food excellent. Chicken dinner was like $10 US and shrimp was $20. Breakfast was about $6 US. Cannot remember cost of the burgers but it was reasonable.

La Tartaruga
Never disappoints. Excellent food, excellent service. We had pasta bolognese, pasta with meatballs and vodka pasta. Portions are large and we had to bring some home. All about $13.50. Yum!!!

La Cantina
See above. Never disappoints. Great wood-fired pizza and beer on tap. Service is prompt and friendly. If you must have pizza on holiday this is the place to go. And don't miss the caesar salad...honestly, the best I have ever had.

Tobago Paradise Travel and Grill
This was our find of the vacation! Located across from the fish market on Pigeon Point Road on a deck right on the water. Lobster grilled to order, the most wonderful salad and potato wedges. BYOB, which makes it ideal! The lobster was cooked to perfection and the chef, who also served, was outstanding. $180 TT for a small lobster that was about a pound and perfect for the 3 ladies. That translates to about $25 US which was well worth the meal, beautiful setting, and bottle of wine we brought ourselves. Add this one to your list.

Bagos Beach Bar
We never miss this place. The cold beers, drinks and beachfront setting are ideal. The restaurant has been up and down over the years as it has changed hands...but was outstanding this year! I had the shark and bake 3 times and it was the best I have had in Tobago, hands down. Friends had the fried chicken tenders and wedges and stewed pork, also excellent. They sample the jerk pork, also excellent, but very hot! You have got to stop by Bago's for a cold beer and a shark and bake. I cannot remember the exact price, but it was less than $10 US. Say "Hi" to Shirley for me :lol:

B Pub Restaurant
Our first time here. Located on Shirvan Road. Stopped for dinner one night for burgers and ribs. Both excellent and up to US standards. The setting is beautiful and our server was personable and prompt. Ribs were around $17 US and burgers around $12 US. Came with salad and wedges. Guinness on tap!

Waves
Located on Grafton Beach. The place was full and the food excellent. I had grilled Mahi and a salad and it was cooked to perfection and tasty. Service was friendly and prompt and the setting wonderful on the beach. I think it was about $12 US. Beers cold, but a bit expensive at $22TT. But worth the meal and setting.
NIN49
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Re: March Restaurant Reviews

Post by NIN49 »

Thanks Sharon for the detailed review of restaurant options. Love eating and drinking well. Very well thought out.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Interesting reviews.

I will look up R&C, Tobago Paradise and B Pub on my next visit.

Couldn't agree more about La Tartaruga and La Cantina ... Cantina does better pizza than anywhere.

So pleased to see a mention of Shirley at Bagos, she has worked really hard ... always owned the business but it's reputation was spoiled a little when she took a break. I hope she never retires as she suggests to me every year ... you must try her Rum Punches, mixed to order and the bar enjoys a wonderful calm setting looking over Cable Bay ... after 2 or 3 of her Rum Punches there are 2 Cable Bays and lots of twins walking past and they all seem to wear the same clothes, it can get a little crowded :mrgreen:

Waves I agree is a fantastic setting, especially when there are high seas. I got into trouble there with the manager last year for parking in the wrong place so I will go in disguise next time ... she is rooting for me.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Anyone know if SALSA KITCHEN is still operating in Scarborough?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kurt

I had some correspondence with Paula and Iain back in January, when we wrote to every restaurant asking for pictures for the new site. They replied saying that they were doing some work on the restaurant, but that the weather was holding them back. So, they were certainly operational at that time and I haven't heard anything since that might indicate otherwise. Sadly, the state of things is such that you just never know from day to day.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ann-Marie54
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Ann-Marie54 »

Thanks so much. We are heading to Tobago for the first time in January,.
JulieE
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by JulieE »

Hello, I've looked at previous messages in the food section but the last posting on this subject was back in 2018.
🔸️Can anyone recommend a place in Scarborough, or anywhere else in Tobago, that does a good shark in bake? 🦈 thanks

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”