Things are happening in Castara !

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
CTDA Castara Tourism
Tobago Organisation
Tobago Organisation

Things are happening in Castara !

Post by CTDA Castara Tourism »

After 8 months of work the Castara Tourism Development Association have just been awarded a grant to be used to improve the condition of the reef by encouraging people to use eco friendly laundry products and to reduce use of plastic bags and styrofoam food containers. The village has been the first to introduce glass, plastic bottle and can collection and the results have been noticeable in that the village and the beach are much cleaner!
Attachments
CTDA Press release 17thApril 2018 pdf - Copy.pdf
CTDA sign agreement to get grant for reef protecton etc!
(407.65 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Things are happening in Castara !

Post by Carol G »

Congratulations Castara....shows what happens when a village gets together and does their own thing for making improvements. The recycling is an awesome step. I hope this may inspire other villages to consider doing something similar to make their neighbourhoods a better place to live. Good luck and best wishes on your wonderful initiative.
Cheers, Carol
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Sounds great. Hope they keep up the good work and it will be practised all around the island.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Great news. Like Robert, I hope this is the start of an island-wide project.

I would be interested to know where the 'recycling depot' is or is it shipped off to Trinidad?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The CTDA entered into contracts with Carib Brewery for the glass & BK for the plastic and aluminium cans.As there is currently no island wide recycling network on island we sort the glass . It is then taken to the Almondoz warehouse in Scarborough . Their trucks which regularly go over to Carib on Trinidad take the bottles in 1 ton bags. Philip Almondoz has always done this to collect goods for their business. We take cans and plastic to BK in Buccoo from where they also take it to their site on Trinidad. BK hope to be able to collect themselves when they have enough villages and businesses involved.
Dry cell batteries and Tetrapac drink containers are next on the list!
It is the CTDA’s commitment to reduce the amount of recyclable waste and to protect the reef by improving the quality of any ‘grey’ water entering the sea that enabled it to apply for the grant as in the attached press release. As others see the benefits they are asking how they can follow the example of Castara. As the release says “ Community Action, World Impact!”
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I am so impressed.

I was banging on about this following my last visit but I did not know that Castara were so close to doing this.

The THA should have put in place a sound structure for recycling before issuing these incentives but I hope that the localised efforts can be sustained and that everyone catches the bug.

I will of course be bringing out my re-usable cooler M&S shopping bags with me on my next visit as always and would encourage others visitors to do the same.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Paul,
Re bringing reusable bags & cooler..we have being doing for a long time & in the last year or so had less resistance using at the grocery store. Having to be less pushy...please, use my bags!! You just have to be quick or you will end up with a zillion plastic bags. I keep hoping the idea of reuseable bags might become the norm...a business/marketing opportunity???
Just one other comment, we also bring a couple of small refreeze packs...less drippy thawed out messes.
Cheers, Carol
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Carol

Chill Bags should be a no-brainer for tourists ... how much incentive do you need to get milk and other dairy products back to your squat with dignity?

The returns of glass bottles is easy for businesses like Almondoz who already receive recompense for returns but I do not mean to discredit this.

As self catering tourists, we should do what we do at home and separate plastics, paper/cardboard, tin etc and, although it seems to be put in the same bag by the cleaners, they will surely notice our strange habits and it will eventually sink in.

Castara is the leading location for self catering tourists in Tobago ... no better place to start this.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “General Questions & Comment”